Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The sheer gall

I'm probably not the best person to speak on this since I can't afford to pay any of the reviewers for YABC (or article writers -- though I do "pay" in free books -- but I would pay them if the site weren't such a money pit), but this, from She Unlimited, has got to be one of the most BS (but daring) pitches to get you to write for them for FREE (italics are mine):

She Unlimited Magazine doesn’t pay our writers to write their articles just like our writers don’t pay us to let them use our network. The writing you do at She Unlimited Magazine establishes you as a respected, known author.
That's about one of the biggest loads of crap I've ever heard. "Write for us for free! Hey, we don't charge you to use our server space!" Yeah, and you don't pay them for the advertising revenue that their copy generates either. And the bit about how doing this will make you a "respected, known author" .... whoo-boy. If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you. It's in Brooklyn and it is a little bit used, but I bet you could get some more use out of it.

Any writers out there that happen to be reading this -- value your work. Only work for free if you truly truly truly get something out of it. And, in general, don't. Your work is valuable. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

No comments: