Monday, August 14, 2006

Under the weather

I haven't been writing in here -- or, for that matter, doing much of anything -- for a while. For the last two weeks I've been a walking zombie.

They had to switch my birth control medication because the depo shot, which I'd been on for about 5 years, seems to have sucked the calcium from my body (see previous post...I've got osteopenia, or bone loss, in my spine now). So now I'm on a pill again. However, it's causing me to have 24/7 nausea and monstrous headaches. The Dr. says that's fairly normal, new hormones, blah, blah, blah...give it 3 weeks and if it doesn't clear up, then we'll re-evaluate.

"Uh, yeah," I tell her, "but if I even move or smell something funky, I feel like I'm going to vomit. And sometimes I do."

"Yeah," she says, "it'll do that."

Wow, that's helpful. She says not to worry about it unless I can't keep any liquids down and I get dehydrated. Great. Gee, thanks. Something to look forward to.

Meanwhile, I can't hardly be in a car without getting car sick. I've barely been out of the house. Heck, I've barely been moving. And next week Auntie Anna is going to be here. Hopefully I start feeling better by then or she's not going to have a very fun visit.

Tony's been great, trying to make me bland enough foods and lots of mashed potatoes. At least I haven't actually hurled too many times -- more dry heaves than anything, but it's that feeling of constantly being about to hurl that's killing me.

2 comments:

Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

That sounds swell. I feel for you!

Did she check to see if you were pregnant before she switched you? GAG! That sounds just like morning sickness. (which I hear some BC pills can do, but I sure wouldn't want to put up with one more day --or three more weeks--of it!)

liraelwiddershins said...

Well, since I went from one method to another, there's a pretty slim chance that I was pregnant. But, gah, if this is like morning sickness, I dunno if I ever want to go for the real thing!