Friday, January 05, 2007

New Year = a New You...but is that me?

I didn't officially make any new year's resolutions this year. Sure, I could make the standard "regular people" ones (lose weight, get more organized, etc.) or the standard writerly ones (write more, write every day or xxxx # of words a day). But they mostly seem to be challenges set up to fail...like as soon as I set the high water mark, my brain fizzles and becomes like a recalcitrant child. "But I don't wanna!" it cries out, shuffling its feet and scuffing the floor.

Maybe I should make resolutions that are the exact opposite of what I want to do.

But reverse psychology probably doesn't work all that well on yourself. Probably. I mean, you know what you're doing to yourself, unless you have some kind of split personality, right?

Anyway.

I've actually gotten a fair amount done this week. Quite a bit on the house -- had Jameson and Fred over. The first coat of stain on the stairs (looks great), the porch has been fixed up, everything powerwashed, got a doorbell up (I actually did that all on my lonesome, whoo-boy), fielded some calls about the house (that's starting to pick up -- I guess, now that it is the new year, people are starting to house hunt again). Got all the emails out to the publishers so I can start planning the YABC 2007 calendar. Got votes back from my "staff" to narrow down the teen reviewer finalists. Did a mailing of prize books. Blah, blah, blah.

Came up with a new superhero power -- actually two, for my Super Freaks book. That's not the official name (well, maybe it is, who knows). One power involves hair and the other involves scratching. That's all that I will say...

And no, we're not talking all Mystery Men here or anything. Really.

Health-wise, been kind of "ehhhhh." The back has mostly been better since the steroid pack thing, but I feel like I'm fighting off a cold or the flu or something. Tony's been sick for about 2 1/2 weeks, but I think (I hope) he's finally kicking it. At least his Kleenex consumption has gone down. Though it is hard to keep tabs when he is in Chicago (he gets back tonight).

I wish they could bottle energy. I'd buy some of that.

No comments: