Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Michael Thomas Salon and Day Spa

Michael Thomas Salon and Day Spa: 346 Half Day Road, Woodland Commons, Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
(847) 913-5555

I didn't have any houses to see today, so I thought I'd drive around some and maybe get my hair cut (I'm wwwwaaaaayyyyy overdue). So I left Deerfield driving north on Waukegan Road (not that I realized at the time that I was going north, but that's another story). That got boring, so I turned around and then went west on Half Day Road. That was a construction nightmare.

I randomly stopped at a shopping center (Woodland Commons) that I saw had a salon. According to their website, they were voted #1 by NorthShore Magazine readers (not that I know what that is either).

They had an immediate opening, so I went ahead and got my hair cut. It's my first "real" haircut since we moved from Florida, I think. A real salon cut -- get your hair washed, get a little head massage, get a real stylist... Martha washed my hair (they have separate staff to do that stuff) and Melissa cut it. She did a good job and was friendly and she has fun hair -- kind of short and spiky with a shot of blue in the bangs. She chatted easily and gave me the scoop on some restaurants and neighborhoods. I'll have to check out Dundee Road; she mentioned a few things off of there, including a good pancake place.

The salon looks like it offers a bit of everything -- massages, facials, what have you. A little pricey, but not too bad. Though after having had my hair cut at Jay's Campus Cuts for like $10 bucks a pop for the last two years, it felt like a hit on the wallet. But it was nice to actually feel pampered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was very, very disappointed.The front desk staff wasn’t very welcoming, I would say they were arrogant. It was my first time at their spa, and all they did was pointing with finger when I asked where I need to go, they were not helpful in directing me at all.
Massage therapist was 15 minutes late for my massage.Environment was very nicely decorated and room was very pleasant, but cold, so I had stuffy nose.
I was supposed to have aromatherapy massage, but I did not fell what I expected. There wasn’t anything scented and fragrant. When I asked my massage therapist, what kind of oil is she using, she said that she doesn’t know!!!!She said it’s just SOME massage oil, and since she doesn’t like fragrant oils she is NOT GOING TO USE THEM. I was there for aromatherapy.
I didn't want to say anything at the moment, because I tried not to make a big deal out of it, but I was really pissed off inside.
She also went to deep, and spent to much time on my back, and very little time on my legs and arms. My back was sore for a few days.
I also had haircut, stylist was very nice and professional, but she did not do anything special. I could get same haircut at Great Clips for less money.
I am definitely not going there again, and I would not recommend it to anyone.