Thursday, March 26, 2015

Your Lie in April

Just finished watching Your Lie in April on Crunchyroll. What a beautiful anime. A complete tear jerker. While there were some cliches in it (the love triangle one in particular, going 2 different ways), it was refreshingly lovely and unexpected.

I know there's a manga for it as well but, for once, I don't think I'll be trying to find it to read it. That's my normal first move after watching an anime that I like. But in this case, it's all about the music and the color. I don't think it would work as well lying there statically on the page. The animation is what really made it.

I mean, as a writer, the story -- including the "surprise" lie reveal at the end, is good but it isn't groundbreaking. I can't say that I was really surprised at the end or at any point during the development of the story. BUT it was all just really well done and deftly handled. Very nicely done.

I realise that I'm saying contradictory things here -- that it was unexpected but not groundbreaking. I think I'm looking at it as a gestalt. All of it together came together to make something really beautiful.

I suppose, as a comparison, today I also removed some things off of my queue on Crunchyroll. One was Listen to Me Girls, I'm Your Father which went in an entirely different direction. Decent idea for a story and a good main character...but totally ruined by over sexualization of young girls. It was uncomfortable to watch. I quit a few episodes in. Potential but ruined by pandering. No, not even pandering...I'm not even sure how to describe it. I'm obviously not the target audience, though and quite frankly, I wouldn't really want to know anyone who considers that to be their thing.

Life is short. Best to keep it full of beauty.

No comments: