Sunday, January 28, 2018

Little things

I'm really enjoying blogging again. It's been so long since I've written for just the pure pleasure and randomness of writing, rather than writing for work. Writing with a goal. This is all writing for no purpose other than the words and remembering and keeping my brain busy.

Not that the two books I've written in the last two years weren't fun. They have been, actually. The whole middle grade fantasy thing is really fun. Compared to when I was trying to write the adult crime fiction, this is easy peasy lemon squeezy as little dude would say. It's not effortless or anything...I mean, it is still my job. But it's enjoyable and it's not like pulling teeth.

That said, even though I like revision and editing in general, I'm finding this go around with the publisher and my agent to be tiring. I've never been asked to do so many little fiddly changes BEFORE having a contract before. Maybe it's a UK vs. US market thing. I don't know. But I'm finding it a bit challenging. Not so much what the changes are but why I'm being asked to do them now. It's frustrating. Feeling like they don't really believe in it. I've got another round to go now because the agent asked for some more tweaks (some taking **out** the tweaks he had me make last time). I feel a bit rushed as it took so long to hear back from him and now I'm wondering if the publisher is thinking that it's me that is taking so long to respond when I've been sitting here waiting and twiddling my thumbs.

Well, que sera sera I suppose. There's not much I can do about it other than keep plugging along.

After this (hopefully) last round, I can get back to making the revisions on the other MG manuscript. And then..I'm really quite itchy to get onto that YA romance that's maybe about a quarter done. Doing that little fan fiction piece actually made me want to get back to that. I really like those characters and I want to get back into their world. Gray and Evie. I was looking at it not that long ago and I found a bit I'd even forgotten writing and it was one of those little serendipitous pieces that just made me happy (even though it was kind of a sad bit). And I'm kind of feeling the need to write something romantic. I've been a big sop lately.

Still feel like I am aimlessly being thrown around by life, but am trying to ignore that and keep plodding on.

(I realise that all the latest posts make it seem like I'm doing nothing but otome visual novel thingies but I have actually been getting a lot of work done. Some of this is stuff I'm writing up from before and now that I've remembered I have a place to put this stuff, I'm catching up. Am I making excuses to myself? Yes, kind of. But I know I'll also look at this in a few years and be all WTF was I doing? and want to remember that, yeah, actually, it's not quite so bad as it looks. It's more that I'm going off the deep end blogging than anything else. Seriously. It's so nice to be writing for no reason again.)

No comments: