Thursday, May 24, 2018

Irresistible Mistakes

So, Irresistible Mistakes came up as a free route on Love 365 and after not being able to get through the last free route (Kiss of Revenge...literally, I read about 2 chapters and was so incredibly meh on it that I stopped even though it was free...nothing about it appealed to me, not the revenge part, not the characters...) I was hoping for something decent.

You work in advertising and have been at the company for about six years. Why this field? Because you were super inspired by a commercial you saw as a teenager that was made by Shunichiro Tachibana, who coincidentally is the star at the firm you work at. Or maybe that's why you're there. You've admired him from afar for eons. At an office party one night celebrating the man himself for another award won, you wind up getting totally stinking drunk. Obliterated. The next morning you wake up in a hotel room...naked...clothes strewn across the floor...and some guy in the shower. Embarrassed and mortified, you sneak out before he can see you -- or you can see him (which is sort of normal but also sort of stupid...after all, he obviously saw ALL of you the night before). You head off to work, not knowing who it was you had your one night stand with...

Yeah, Shunichiro, I was thinking the same thing.
The free route was for the man himself. Shunichiro. You quickly figure out it was him and are completely shocked but also kind of excited. But more shocked. After all, you've admired him for so long that you've got a bit of a complex about the whole thing. And at first, he seems a bit suggestive and flirty. Like, really suggestive (he literally says something along the lines of Oh, you don't remember how wet you were? and she's like OMG though you find out a bit later he meant from the rain...but it's obvious that he totally meant the double meaning too). And you have this whole "I'm not worthy" thing going on which is really heightened to the breaking point when he appoints you to a new team that's trying to win a contract for the Olympics. Yeah, that Olympics. It's a big deal.

Thrown together with him on the project, you wind up making that irresistible mistake again. And again. Each time a little more thrilling but also more soul shattering than the last. Because, and this is where the whole middle of the route lies, you don't know how he feels. You barely know how you feel, but you're pretty sure you don't want to just be a booty call (in fact, when Natsume finds out about it and confronts you with those very words, you want to deny it...but you can't). You're falling deep, girl. And Shunichiro, by all indications from what is going on with the sleazy governor and the governor's daughter (who wants to marry Shunichiro), doesn't see you as anything but a convenient good time. That's what you're up against.

Let's just say that everything winds up copacetic and that Shunichiro's character could easily have been a total asshole, but he wasn't. Overall, the route was a little inner turmoil angsty for me -- does he? doesn't he? do I? what do I want? what does he want? is he a slimeball? am I a slimeball? -- but ultimately it was okay. I'm a bit over the whole oh no, he has a fiancé thing (c'mon, Voltage, something else, please). BUT it wasn't bad. I wanted to be more mad at the MC because she is such a waffle through the majority of the route BUT it more or less made sense for her character because of who he was and who she was. That hero worship thing. I may or may not be as forgiving if she's that way with other love interests.

I did enjoy it enough that I am thinking about doing another route. Perhaps Natsume, even though he's an old friend, partly because I like how he stuck up for her in this route. He seems like a decent guy (o, famous last words when used in conjunction with Voltage...I think I've just doomed myself). I've heard Toma is good as well, so I might check that one out too. I did like that she's a mature (i.e. older) MC and that she doesn't faint at the very thought of sex like a lot of Voltage MCs. And that she proved herself competent at her job...though it was the same-old same-old Voltage thing of making her the low man on the totem pole looking up to her male counterparts which is ANNOYING. For once, please give me an MC who kicks ass from the beginning.

No comments: