Thursday, May 10, 2018

Tanaka-kun

Little dude and I just finished another anime show that we both loved called Tanaka-kun is Always Listless. I'd had it on my Crunchroll list for a while but hadn't tried it. Honestly, it sounded odd. Not that I don't like odd. Odd is life. Basically, it's about a boy who is...listless. All he wants to do is sleep. He barely has the energy to walk.

Sounds...weird, right? It's actually really charming. You have Ohta, his tall and slightly scary looking friend (who loves sweets and is scared of ghosts and is happy doing housework), who carries him around. Literally. You have Miyano, the effervescent bubbly teensy little thing, who wants to appear more grown up and mature but can't because she's about as big as I was when I was that age. Echizen, Ohta's childhood friend, who wants to act like a juvenile delinquent but is actually really sweet. And Shiraishi, the smart, popular girl who's secret is that she tries really, really hard to appear that way, when inside she's not nearly so confident and doesn't even think that she's pretty. And two little sisters. Tanaka-kun's little sister is my only quibble with the show at all, as she's got that onii-chan hang up that annoys me.

It's another slice of life type show where not really a lot happens (though more than Tanaka wishes would, as he'd rather life be perfectly uneventful). The characters are generally charming and sweet. I love the art style as well. And love to hear the little dude giggling at it. Most of the dramatic tension is built on misunderstandings, but it's all easily resolved (other than Shiraishi's crush on Tanaka) and funny.

We're going to look for the books now as neither one of us want it to be over. :-)

No comments: