Thursday, September 13, 2018

Brain dead

Today I had to take my random scribbles of story notes (much of which, to be honest, were just half-formed thoughts in my head that I'd never bothered to write down at all) and turn them into brief descriptions of 4 books that do not yet exist for two different series. My brain is now officially fried. And I really wish I could drink more than one coffee a day without getting shaky. But, it's done! Yay, me!

And, hopefully, what I wrote up makes a modicum of sense. I think it did. Not entirely sure. Will find out soon. The agent said it looked good. But he was also on his way to the airport and drowning in last minute tasks and emails. :)

Also started A Witch's Love (another Kdrama) and watched it on the train into London. Not liking it as much as What's Wrong with Secretary Kim, but I'm waiting to see how it develops. The one thing I've learned about Kdramas so far is that you have to give it a few episodes to decide...well, unless it's truly horrible. I think I'm partly confused as to who the love interest is. And disappointed that it seems like it's going to be yet another childhood trauma storyline. Surely they can't ALL go there, right?

It was little dude's big test day today so I bought him some manga as a reward for getting through it. And myself a book on how to make comics. Hadn't mentioned before, but the editor of my third book emailed me and asked if I was interested in doing a proposal for a graphic novel for them.

Um, hell yeah I'm interested in doing a graphic novel!

It'd be a re-telling of a classic story (something like Shakespeare) but with multicultural aspects and brought into a modern-day setting. It'd obviously just be the story part, with someone else illustrating as, while I enjoy drawing, I can't draw characters consistently. I can maybe draw it once, but it ain't never gonna come out the same again. Going to meet a friend next week who's done graphic novels before and pick his brain on how you structure the manuscript. While I've read lots of graphic novels (manga included, obviously), I've never written one before. I think I'm fairly well suited for it, as my main strength when writing YA is dialogue. So crossing fingers. Also nice that I only need to do a synopsis/outline rather than having to write the entire thing out AND that she's not in a rush as hopefully I'll have some good news / steady work shortly.

So things looking up and good timing, as with summer over and little dude back in school, it's back to work for me.

No comments: