Wednesday, September 12, 2018

What's Wrong with Secretary Kim?

Ah, I've made it through summer break and a few rounds of guests (not going to get into the MIL visit because I don't even want to think about it) and now the little dude is back in school. I have news but I don't even want to write about it (mostly) anonymously here as I don't want to jinx myself. Hopefully I can talk about it in a week or so. Until then, I am a bundle of nerves.

So...let's talk about What's Wrong with Secretary Kim?


I'd pretty much given up on finding a Kdrama that I liked after a few attempts (like with A Gentleman's Dignity), even though I kept hearing good things about them. But I kept seeing bits about this one and then someone mentioned how the main guy character was like a combination of Zen and Jumin  (and he totally seemed that way from the clips...rich, stuck on himself businessman who actually has a good heart) so I thought I'd try it out.

And I love it. Loved it. Just finished it today.

Okay, it's still a bit like watching a live action anime with some funny/silly sound effects but here it wasn't annoying. It was just cute. The acting was MUCH better and both the leads and the supporting cast were really excellent.

But let me start over.

Kim Mi So (the secretary in question) has been working for 9 years for the young and handsome Vice Chairman of a huge corporation. He's a HUGE narcissist. When she suddenly tells him that she wants to resign, he's thrown for a huge loop. Why would she do such a thing? He's determined to keep her by his side. At first, you think it's just for superficial reasons, but you soon have hints that there's something much deeper going on and that there's a history between them.

That history is...well...a bit convoluted. Maybe unnecessarily dramatic, but I suppose they don't call these Korean DRAMAS for nothing. I actually wouldn't have minded if all of the past trauma stuff has been taken out and it had been a simple love story between the two of them -- characters from such different backgrounds and circumstances -- BUT, that said, I didn't mind it because it was handled fairly well and all the loose ends were wrapped up and it even wound up making sense. Mostly. That part did drag on quite a bit in the middle episodes (there are 16 total).

The humour was great and I absolutely loved the supporting cast, even the over-acting of Section Chief Se Ra. Secretary Yang, her love interest, was adorable and altogether too pure for this world. The best friend of the Chairman was hilarious and I'd love to see him again in anything. All of the side stories were tied up AND satisfying in their own right. Even the sisters of Secretary Kim were done well and I was worried they were just going to be foils in the beginning.

I'm sad it's over.

It was all so very adorably awkward and sweet.

And GAH I want to talk about all the other things going on in my life right now but I can't at the moment, not even here, so that'll be me done for the day. At least I can say, hey, I'm back! Summer break is over!

No comments: