Sunday, October 21, 2018

Who am I today?

I was just thinking about how uncomfortable I am in my skin. The skin I'm in (no, I haven't been drinking...though I did buy some Lucky Buddha beer and some sake at Wing Yip today). I almost never take pictures of myself anymore. So I thought I'd take a picture. Here's me today. 21st October 2018. Minimal makeup. The face I make as I sit and think while typing. Wearing a hooded Robin Hood-ish shirt I've had since I was eighteen. In front of the fireplace in my office. Bad lighting. Listening to K-pop, 'cause I'm all about the immersion.


Man, I feel old and ugly but, hey, there I am. 

Also today I am someone who has decided to give up on learning Japanese and I'm working solely on Korean instead. Just made more sense as my fav otome game is in Korean and most of what I've been watching is in Korean too. And hangul looks a bit easier...well...just a little. So I signed up with some website and have done two lessons today. I already know some words but have also figured out that some of them aren't actually pronounced how I thought they were. It's gonna take a lot of work.

I feel guilty that I'm not trying to learn Chinese instead. I only ever learned about three words from my mother and, at this point, I think I actually know more Chinese than she remembers. And all of that was Cantonese...not Mandarin...so it was pretty useless when we went to China. But I almost never watch stuff in Chinese now and there's nothing in particular I want to read in it and all my Chinese relatives live in San Francisco in a time zone so far removed from the UK that we almost never talk. 

And today I am lonely. I think I'm gonna go watch another Kdrama.

No comments: