Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Pushing the button

So. Just finished filling out the paperwork to renounce my citizenship and scanned all the documents and filled out the email and...pushed the button. Sent.

It's a bit surreal.

The mid-term elections were held yesterday in the US and tons of my friends on FB and Twitter are all posting about their I Voted! stickers and the results (good, bad, ugly, etc.).

But, for me, this is the first time that I didn't vote. I knew I was going to fill in all the paperwork and give up my rights. Sure, I could have voted as I'm still a citizen at this point, but it kinda didn't feel right to do it when I knew I was a short timer. Maybe I should have anyway, though my vote would have been in Florida and I honestly don't think it would have made a difference. I know, I know, every vote counts.

But.

I think I thought it would feel weirder pushing the button and sending it off into the ether. But I had my cry about it when I debated it and now it just kinda feels...empty.

Is empty the word? Maybe not. It is what it is.

No comments: