Thursday, November 29, 2018

Shopping King Louis--Fin

Oh, I was so pleasantly surprised by this one. While it did a lot of "typical" things, it also managed to surprise me with the choices it made. Things that would normally be drawn out and out and out were resolved quickly (like when Bok Sil is kidnapped by the stooge by accident, when he thinks he's grabbing Ma Ri to blackmail the Chairman for more money) and it generally always took the happier route which, I'll be honest, I love.

I don't watch these things to get drawn into tons of stomach-twisting angst. I can watch other things for that. Hell, I can watch the news. I really love that they didn't do a lot of the things I expected them too...like their brief separation wasn't because of the rich family saying "oh no, you're too poor for our Louis" and it always took the lighter path -- Chairman hadn't wanted to kill Louis, just a little bump big enough for Grandma to want to send him away again. Shoot. The two rich ahjummas even gleefully adopt the former janitor ahjumma as one of their own and I don't think you'd see that in another chaebol drama. They really are all one big happy family by the end.

And it was a joy that the writer actually sprinkled little stuff in throughout the show and then USED it. Bok Sil's mothers dress, the thieving granny, the dog named Gobosi (and I'll even forgive them for doing the childhood meeting thing, as it least it was tied in so nicely to Bok Sil's dead parents), the documentary, the ⭐ ratings Louis gave out...seriously, it's so nice. I hate it when things are just thrown in and then not used. They managed to tie just about everything up.

If I had a complaint at all, it would be that Bok Sil stays pretty stagnant through the last half of the show and becomes a character to whom things happen, rather than an actual player on the board. But, as this is really more a story about Louis, I'm okay with it overall.

Sure, it ended quite openly without an exact resolution (other than for Butler Kim and Butler Heo, who got married). But that's kind of life and at least there are hints as to what will come. Joong Won meets a straightforward girl that's obviously going to take Bok Sil's place in his heart (though you know he'll always support her--his last act is to give her books to study for college). Ma Ri may like Joong Won a bit, but somehow you suspect she might wind up won over by the ridiculous Jo In Sung (they almost have to, after having shared two of the most ridiculous poop/fart related jokes I've ever seen in any show short of South Park). She's even finally started to grow as a person by the end. And while Louis and Bok Sil aren't married at the end, you know they're going to stay together forever. Bok Nam...well, hopefully he'll graduate some day. He's pretty hopeless, but at least he has a good heart.

Just Louis' daydream, but you know it'll happen.
Actually, that sums up the show. It had a good heart. I really enjoyed it. Am I glad I watched it? 100% absolutely. There's actually very few shows I would say that about. Would I watch it again? Yeah, I think I would. Maybe even with the little dude because there were some jokes that he would fall off his chair over. Not right away, but in a year or two when I need a pick me up. This one's a keeper and I SO needed it after the disappointment that was the ending of Where Stars Land.

No comments: