Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Just You

So, I tried a Taiwanese drama called Just You. It's my first time trying a Taiwanese one. Someone on Twitter had recommended it as a funny, cute story. I've watched one episode.

To be honest, I don't think I'll watch anymore. The acting is a bit...well, it's over-acting. It would probably work just fine as an anime or a manga, but watching it live action was a bit painful, especially the lead actress (and her friends). She yells a lot. Makes exaggerated faces. The pace is also slow. I kept forwarding. Maybe it's the director's style, but there were a LOT of slow shots of inanimate objects or of characters that just went on too long.

It's sort of the classic forced cohabitation/aloof boss/cheerful girl thing. The guy (played by Aaron Yan) is an OCD kind of guy. He returns to his hometown and buys back his old house and a company. The girl (played by Puff Guo -- I couldn't even make that name up) lives in the house and refuses to move out as she's already paid up 3 months of rent. And turns out she also works for the company he now owns. They immediately get on each others nerves. She nearly kills him by adding some kind of seafood to his soup. He's imperious. She's annoying.

He also immediately causes chaos in the company by instituting a dating ban (girl's best friend who also works there was about to get engaged to another guy who works there). So they come up with a plan to get him to fall in love with the main girl.

Eh, I dunno. I can see that later episodes might be really cute and the reviews on this one are generally pretty good but I had to force myself to finish the episode. Maybe I'm just not in the mood? Her screaming really got on my nerves in particular and the dialogue didn't move me. It just felt really typical? Maybe I'll try another episode some other time, but for now I'm letting this sit. There are too many things on my "to be watched" list as it is.

I thought I'd try a recap site just to see and randomly read the recap for episode 7...and even the description of it made it sound kinda annoying. I think I need to just try something else.

No comments: