Friday, December 14, 2018

Signed, sealed & delivered

Finally got the contract yesterday (woot!). Signed. Mailed. Two books, one written already, the other due on 1 July...so I gotta get going. And one of the biggest publishers in the world. Eep.

Though it's hard as I've already outlined and written out a synopsis...but I'm not sure yet what they want to change in the first book. Do I go ahead and start the second one? Wait? I dunno. May take a stab at the first chapter anyway.

Also not entirely sure what I mapped out should be the second book. It definitely needs to be ONE of the books, but it could be the third one instead of the second. But it's all kinda up in the air...it's a two book deal that will hopefully turn into more if well received -- the last book has to follow one particular story but different things can go in between. Agh. But if they really only want two, then I'd need to tell that story now, if that makes sense. But there's no way to do that because of timing. I'll be writing the second one while they're getting the first one ready and won't know if they want to do a third until sometime after the first one is out (by which time the second will already need to be written). It's different from the other series I had worked on where the second book wasn't written until well after the first book was out. This is, honestly, more like it's supposed to be. I just have to work on the assumption that it will be successful and they will want a third (or fourth or fifth) book.

But I'm still not entirely positive that this is the one that should be the second book. It's centred on Nasty (Vile the hag's sister) but it could instead be a book about Sumac (who is now a murder chicken with horrible boils) or even Flea (the slightly dangerous shapeshifting pony).

Eh. I guess I'll go with what I've got for now. It can't hurt. It's only words, right?

In other news...all the stress...2017 taxes finally done and dusted. Accountant paid. That song from Cabaret keeps going through my head: money, money, money... Hubby's citizenship now renounced. My appointment coming up. Need to start the 2018 taxes up asap. I hate paperwork. Went back to the gym 3 times this week and it was like starting over again. Still not entirely well either, as voice is still all scratchy. Kiddo stressed as we're having to make him do revision to prepare for the 3 (!) school assessments he's got in January (man, that's gonna be a tough month). The garage door openers only work intermittently...or when the electrician is here. Hubby re-starting up consulting business. We're supposed to go to visit grandparents in Florida next half term break...no idea if we'll be able to or not as finances are a bit up in the air, but really need to as my mom isn't doing well. Dialysis is taking it's toll and her lungs keep filling with fluid. She's barely leaving the house anymore though little sis did take her to Disney recently (in a wheelchair) and they got her on some rollercoasters and she loved them. Glad of that, anyway. Christmas. Playdates. All the things. And now I'm hungry.

But. The contract is signed. That's a good thing.

Of course, this also means that my time bingeing Kdramas and otome is coming to an end, very very soon.

No comments: