Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Revenge of the Sith (and the Hornet)

Some days, I shouldn't get out of bed. Yesterday being one of those days...since soon after I did, I stepped on a hornet. In the house. With no shoes on. So yesterday I was under the influence of benadryl, but I'm still itching like the dickens and my foot is approximately 2 times it's normal size. Sigh.

On Monday we went to see Revenge of the Sith. I really didn't want to go. The last one (The Clone Wars or whatever it was) was just painful for me to watch. You have to understand that the very first movie I ever saw in a theatre in my life was the original Star Wars: A New Hope (though nobody called it A New Hope back then). At the time, we were living in the wilds of Arkansas on a rabbit farm (seriously, I am not kidding). I was only around 5. Maybe even four. We had to drive for over an hour to get to a town that had a movie theatre and we passed a cow in the middle of the road on the way there and a dead cow in the middle of the road on the way back. There were even people all dressed up like Darth Vader and Chewbacca there. It was an amazing thing. See, by the time it made it anywhere near us out there in Arkansas, it had already hit big. That was, I imagine, the only reason that my dad drove us all out there to see it.

So it has been the movie to which I have held up all other movies to. And it didn't hurt that my little 5 year-old self thought Mark Hamil was one heck of a cutie. Okay, looking back, the hair really has to go, but it was my first crush. I even stayed to read the credits so I could find out what his real name was. (okay, yeah, I was a tad bit precocious)

When Lucas started coming out with the "first" movies, or pre-quels or whatever you want to call them (ahem, crap), I was so disappointed. The Phantom Menace was barely acceptable, though it had a few moments. I, like so many, wanted to personally wring Jar-Jar's neck. The next one was just awful. Unbelievable. Couldn't stand it. But Revenge of the Sith, thank god, had some actual plot. I still don't think any of the newer ones compare to the first one, but at least this last one brought something to the table.

How big a geek am I, anyway? I guess it could be worse. I could be discussing the Star Trek movies.

No comments: