Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Yikees

I just did something I shouldn't have. I added up the income and expenses for the YA website last year. Yikes. I'm still in a hole as far as the site is concerned. WAY in the hole. Not counting the last payments from Google and Amazon (which'll only be a bit over $100 anyway), I'm negative $784 for the year (So negative really somewhere around $650, since the last hosting charge also wasn't in my spreadsheet). Ouch.

Sigh.

At least it is making some money now. I don't even want to know what the year before was like (but then, it might not have been as bad since I wasn't mailing as many books out then). I just need to figure out some other ways for it to produce income so I can keep going with it. It's a catch-22 -- the more time you put into it, the better it does...the more time I put into it, the less writing of my own I can do. Ah, well. Life.

Postage is the killer. $530.54 in postage fees. But I don't see any way around that. One of the biggest draws of the site is the giving away of books. And you can't give something away and then charge postage. It's just not right. And I do love to give books away. All the kids love that.

Well, I'll start some new advertising things this year and see how things go. And my husband and a friend of ours (who's a lawyer) has convinced me I really need to incorporate or I could be in trouble if anyone ever wants to sue the site for some reason. I have no idea why, but who knows? Agh. Another expense.

So, hey, if you're reading this and you visit my website, click on an ad or two, willya?

No comments: