Friday, March 23, 2018

What is this thing called Spring?

Today was the last day of Spring term for the little dude. CANNOT BELIEVE it's already nearly the end of March. FFS.

It was only a half day and we wound up going with a bunch of other kids and mum's to a big trampoline place called Rush. The funny story is that one of the mum's had texted me the day before asking if the little dude wanted to go to Rush.

Well, I didn't have a clue what she was talking about. So, I'm, like, Rush? The band? Am I showing my age?

And she's like, Afraid so. It's a trampoline park.

Yeah. I'm that mom. To be fair, I didn't think Rush would actually still be playing (though I just looked them up and apparently they still are. Wow.). Though if they were giving a concert, the little dude would probably like them. He's really been into Led Zeppelin lately. And they are actually before my time. By quite a bit. They started in 1968, before I was born. Anyway.

I finished my edit on the one manuscript and sent it to my agent. Got a little bit of news on the other one from him...basically, the publisher that's considering it is still considering it but really seem to be dragging their feet. It's frustrating. I've never been asked to do so many changes before a contract before. Not going to dwell on it. We'll see what happens with this other one as there's a different editor at another house interested in seeing it. Basically, I'm taking a break while little dude is off school anyway.

Like I said, not dwelling, not dwelling...

Let's see...back to my current obsessions...

Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome...yeah...okay. I had to uninstall it off of little dude's computer after I played a bit more (though I do plan on using the money I recently earned from school visits and some freelance stuff to get a Windows laptop of my own). I got through the first...eh...shmexytimes scene and it was...okay, you know what? There's not really a good word for it. Graphic isn't the word. I mean, yes, it was graphic. Sort of. It was also...squelchy. And after doing some research online, I found out that the way Foley artists make that noise is...with a can of dog food. And a spoon. And now I can't get that out of my head and I...omg. It's just kinda gross, isn't it? It's gross.

Okay, no, I'll seriously discuss it.

Things that are good: a) it's funny in a ridiculous way wherein you can't take it seriously and in how it b) kind of pokes fun at the otome world in general and c) the art is mostly decent (though, seriously, they should have really, really, really NOT drawn all the liquid-y bits...it was...disturbing...I mean, yeesh, girl, that looks like a problem, maybe you should see a doctor...) and d) ...it's funny. It's kinda like a parody. Basically, I keep coming back to that.

Things that aren't so good: a) the romance really isn't believe at all because b) it literally goes from first kiss to full on contortionist-worthy shmexiness and spurt-iness IN THE SAME FREAKING SCENE and c) even with suspension of disbelief, there's no way any of these three weirdos (MC, and the two love interests) would find love with each other or anyone else. AND... d) you'd kind of think that after the MC does it for her VERY FIRST TIME with the dude that at least some of the following scenes might, you know, address that? But no...no thought or discussion or mention of it from either one of them. It was weirdly dissociative. It was kind of like the developers went oh! Time for sexy time! Wham, bam, thank-you-ma'am! And now back to our story...

So, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. Once I get another laptop, I might play it some more because the ridiculousness of the humour appeals to me (especially the random endings, like how she winds up as, like, a female wrestler in one of them). The fairly thin & contrived plot doesn't thrill me nor how either of the guys treat the MC. She's really not as strong as I thought she'd be from reviews. And I can't say I find the shmexytime the least bit...er, shmexy. I think if I'd had a video of my face while reading it, it would have been basically...Well, that's awkward...should I be watching this? Maybe I should just click faster...No, wait, that's kind of making it worse...oh, jesus, she sure is making a lot of noise...holy crap, I'm glad no one else is home...omg, is it over yet? Hey, why do her nether regions resemble a Barbie? That's actually more disturbing...omg...is her back going to break? What's his hand doing? Is that angle even possible? No, no, omg, I have to look away...click, click, click...oh, thank god, it's finally over.

I may just not be suitable for this kind of thing. There's that possibility. I don't watch p*rn, but if I did, I'd watch it with the hubby. I can't imagine playing this game with him. I mean, I suppose it really isn't worse than watching an R rated movie (and goodness knows a lot of the humour is Deadpool level), but I found it hard to make the choices at the decision points that I knew would lead to the shmexytimes (also because they didn't make much sense...seriously...this is one game I could never self-insert into). The weird endings are almost more interesting. But is it worth playing for that? Not entirely sure.

No comments: