Saturday, April 07, 2018

Um...Incubi and Demons...oh my

So...there was a free otome on Steam that I'd read some good reviews of, so I tried it out even though it had the very dubious name of Seduce Me. It's billed as a comedic romance. You play the character of a high school girl who is also the heir to her grandfather's mansion. She's got a dishrag of a mother and a total jerk of a dad who sends her off to live on her own in the mansion literally right after they bury his dad. It's a weird set up. Even weirder is that when she arrives there, there's a bunch of (supposed to be)  handsome guys there that are all wounded from a big battle. But, uh, yeah, she lets them stay even though one of them basically assaults her (kissing) as soon as they meet. Well, it turns out that they are incubi and were sort of friends of her grandfather's, who had been studying magic.

Yeah, there's a lot going on there to unpack.

The Incubi dudes. Somehow, I thought they'd be better dressers.
Okay, first, the good points. It's free. There seems to be a lot of content. It's decently written without any glaring spelling or grammar issues. I think there's also a sequel to it (which is cheap). There's voice acting. The heroine is pretty strong and has some guts (even fighting back in some scenes with some demons). She also picks up magic like her grandfather and you get the feeling she won't be a pushover.

But...I gave up fairly early on this one. The voice acting annoyed me. The art just wasn't my style at all. The plot very quickly went convoluted and muddled -- too quickly, so I didn't care enough to try and unravel it because I didn't care about the characters enough to bother. And I wasn't really that interested in any of the potential love interests. Two of them were quite jerky. I dunno. I played it for a total of 1.4 hours. I was on the youngest one's route even though he was too much of a puppy for me because at least he was nice.

I can see why it has it's fans -- it has a lot of content for a free game and it's not badly done. It just wasn't for me. And I didn't find the shmexy bits all that shmexy. Maybe it was partly discomfort on my part that she's a girl still in high school and they are incubi from another plane of existence and all older than her and have designs on her body. It's probably why I wound up with the young one. He seemed the least skeevy. Like, the oldest one was probably the most attractive to me personally (even with his smarmy voice) but for that MC it just seemed wrong. To be fair, I probably wouldn't have felt that way when I was a teenager. I probably wouldn't have even thought about it. But I'm not anymore and I do. So...yeah.

No comments: