Friday, August 16, 2019

Hi! School Love On

Oh, er, um...should've made note of this a while back because now I feel like I've forgotten what was going on somewhat...anyway...a few weeks ago (a month? more? dunno...), little dude and I were looking for something to watch together. Maybe Crunchyroll wasn't working? I talked him into trying Hi! School Love On which has possibly the most nonsensical name I've seen yet for a Kdrama.



It's an older one from 2014 but I'd seen a clip or two and it had looked funny/ridiculous/fish out of water style antics (which he tends to like) so I'd thought it would be a good fit. So...Kim Sae-Ron plays Lee Suel-Bi, an angel who accidentally becomes human when she inadvertently saves the life of a human boy. That boy is Nam Woo-Hyun playing Shin Woo-Hyun in possibly his first or second role. He's a boy band dude in a band called Infinite. I don't think he's done much else, though it looks like he's released some solo songs. Anyway, he has his own trials and tribulations.

Some popular idiot girl at school is obsessed with him and does stupid things to try and get him to be with her but her super bitchy Dragon Mom thinks it is all his fault and is making his life miserable and works to get him kicked out of school. There's also another Infinite member who plays what I guess must be the Second Lead dude: Lee Seung-Yeol, playing Hwang Seung-Yeol (again with the same first name thing? what's up with that?). He's a bit of a jerk in the first episode and there's some sort of family drama involving his step mother.

Anyway, once Seul-Bi becomes human, she winds up staying with Woo-Hyun, who mostly thinks she is insane because she doesn't know how to do anything. There's also another angel who is trying to help her, played by an older actor who also might have some type of feelings for her (?) though angels are apparently not supposed to have any such things. I am guessing that the three leads wind up at the same school and shenanigans ensue. There's also a time jump-y thing in the beginning where we see the present/future and it looks like Seul-bi is gone and Woo-Hyun is missing her? I could be mis-reading it, but that's what it looked like.

I kinda hate it when they do crap like that.

Anyway, little dude wasn't impressed. I thought it looked okay and I'm willing to give it a longer go--at least a few more episodes--but I gotta say it didn't look amazing either. So I'd say it's on my "I'll finish this some day" list for now. You often can't tell from just one episode, so we'll see. But it obviously didn't grab me enough that I didn't even remember to write it up until now...

No comments: