Saturday, August 03, 2019

Go, Go Squid

Haven't started any new dramas in quite a while but everyone on Twitter has been talking about this new one called Go, Go Squid.

I do not know why it is called that.

So...I needed a break today from editing (I'm in the middle of taking parts of three different chapters and putting it into one) because my brain was full and I thought I'd give it a go. The episodes are about 45 minutes long, so enough for a decent break.

So very, very pink
This might actually be my very first Chinese drama from China. I've tried (and ditched) a couple of Chinese language ones from Taiwan, but pretty sure this is my first try at one from the mainland. I have high hopes because a) everyone talking about it seems to love it, b) the rating on Viki is high, and c) I did see a couple of clips and they looked decent.

After one episode, I don't feel like I have a handle on it yet. But, it's ongoing and there's already over 40 freaking episodes (gah!) so I'll try a few more before I fully form an opinion.

The description on Viki:
At 19, Tong Nian (Yang Zi) has the whole world at her feet. A brilliant IT programming student, with stellar grades and an equally impressive social media following built around her covers of Japanese songs, Tong Nian never has a problem meeting new people or making friends. But that all changes the day Han Shang Yan (Li Xian) walks into her life. 
A genius in his own right, Han Shang Yan is one of the world’s top professional gamers. A legend in the world of esports, Shang Yan is used to living in the spotlight but never once has he let it his position get in the way of his profession. Always working towards that next win, he has never let himself be distracted by the people around him, especially when it comes to women. 
Smitten by Hang Shang Yan the moment she first lays eyes on him, Tong Nian tries to find a way to approach her new crush, but can never seem to find the words. Every attempt she makes ends up failing miserably. Cold and uninterested, Shang Yan barely even recognizes Tong Nian’s existence, or so it seems. 
Could Tong Nian’s persistence catch the eye of a man who sees no one? To Tong Nian it may seem impossible but everyone knows, anything’s possible when it comes to love. 
Based on the novel “Stewed Squid with Honey” by Mo Bao Fei Bao, “Go Go Squid!” is a Viki Original 2019 romantic comedy-drama directed by Xiang Xu Jing.

So...okay, that sounds reasonably interesting. I like that she's accomplished on her own. I don't mind the "cold at first but then opens up" kind of guy. And I do feel like I ought to try more Chinese language stuff.

After episode 1...a few thoughts:

  • She's a grad student? But she's 19? And he says he's 30 at one point. Erm...not entirely sure about that age difference thing. It's not impossible BUT there's a whomping huge difference in maturity between a 19 year old and a 30 year old. So I dunno how I feel about that.
  • She really likes pink.
  • She spots him when he comes into the Internet Cafe that her cousin owns (?) / works at when she was there helping out and immediately goes full on stalker over him. 1) I don't see why at all. I mean, he's handsome enough, but he's not friendly nor does he pay her any attention and it's not like he's so WHOA beautiful that you see why she does this and 2) she's kinda overboard in her stalker-ness (getting his WeChat info via duplicitous means and then basically spamming him with messages).
  • The second lead dude that likes her seems adorable. I feel bad for him already.
  • He's not a professional gamer. He leads a team that competes in cyber security contests.
  • There are a lot of kids on his team and he views them as just that -- kids. So I kinda wonder why he'd ever even consider getting together with her (see first bullet point).
  • So far she's not shown any particular intelligence or drive other than being a stalker.
  • The story kind of jumps around and throws out a bunch of characters in this first episode. No clue really yet on what is going on.
  • It seems she's supposed to be majoring in something related to cyber security. And he's famous in that field. So why does she not know who he is or who his team is when she sees his name / his team's name?
Anyway, acting-wise, they seem okay. I wouldn't say I love them so far, but they aren't bad. I'm finding it less annoying than the over the top antics in the Taiwanese dramas I tried. So I'll keep on for now and hope that all the love I'm seeing for it is deserved.

No comments: