Friday, April 15, 2005

The Surreal Life

Well, here I am again. I've been lying in bed not sleeping for the past 2 hours, so I finally figured I'd get up for a little while and try again later. I forgot to write about a little incident that happened while I was at the library anyway.

So...I'm sitting in the library and there's an older gentlemen talking at a younger guy. I say "talking at" since I never heard the younger one say a thing. The guy is on a regular tirade about how things are crap now that women all want equality, etc., etc. He's real excited about it. I hear bits about how they don't want to do the cooking anymore, and they're taking a man's job away, etc., etc. Meanwhile, I'm sitting there reading a critical analysis of Bram Stoker's Dracula talking about his portrayal of women and the Victorian debate over the "New Woman" (you know, the ones that wanted suffrage and things of that nature). It was kind of a strange experience.

Which reminds me of something. Have you ever seen The Man Show? One time they did a bit where they set up a table with a big banner that said "Stop Women's Suffrage!" and a petition. Nearly everyone walking by, including women, signed it. Only one woman actually said anything and tried to get people to stop signing the petition. That's pretty sad. I don't know if it was apathy or stupidity, but whatever it was, it was pretty pathetic. And I'm talking about your average shopping-at-the-mall on Saturday kind of crowd.
suf·frage noun
Etymology: Latin suffragium vote, political support, from suffragari to support with one's vote 1 : a vote in deciding a controverted question or the choice of a person for an office or trust 2 : the right of voting : Franchise. also : the exercise of such right

I guess it's things like that keeping me up at night.

No comments: