Tuesday, February 07, 2023

The Fiery Priest

So, one that I watched on the airplane but am not entirely sure about is The Fiery Priest. The blurb says: An unconventional priest, a rookie detective and an ambitious prosecutor work together to solve a murder case involving a senior Catholic priest.


Well. That all sounds well and good, I suppose. I like unconventional. But...welllllll...I'm not sure about this one. I have just watched one episode and I remember how good all the reviews were when it came out, so maybe I need to give it another episode or two. 

To sum up my misgivings..."fiery" seems to mean "serious anger management issues" for the priest. And by unconventional, they mean he likes to beat people up and is...kinda rude too? Style-wise, I'll give him points for that. And the ambitious prosecutor seems both unreasonably cocky, possibly kinda crooked, and also not a winner personality-wise. And I don't mean that in a "she's a strong woman" kind of way. I mean it, like, if I met her, I wouldn't like her. She seems like an ass. Then there's the rookie detective wherein "rookie" seems to mean "completely incompetent."

So...I guess I'm having trouble seeing why I would want to invest any time in these characters? I get that they're playing some of this for laughs. But after the one episode, there was literally not one character that I'd like to meet in person, except for maybe the older priest that had once been the fiery priest's mentor. And if he's the one that dies...well, phoo on that.

Hmmm. Typing all this out has made me think it may be awhile before I try another episode. But...I do like a lot of the actors in it, so I'll probably stick it on the "may come back to" list.

No comments: