Friday, September 15, 2023

The Girl I Like Forgot her Glasses

This is a rather different anime in some ways and a very normal one in others. The Girl I Like Forgot her Glasses is a young romance and very sweet.


Kaede Komura has a serious crush on Ai Mie, who sits next to him. He relishes the days that she forgets her glasses (she is, literally, just about blinder than a bat) because then he gets to help her. At the same time, he's in a constant flutter because she gets too close trying to see his face. 

They're in the equivalent of middle school, so maybe 12ish? It's similar in some ways to Komi as it is another set up with a classmate helping out another classmate (interesting in that it always seems to be the boy helping the girl), but more innocent as they are younger. When another girl in class thinks they are kissing as Mie gets so close to him all the time, Komura practically turns inside out denying it. There's also no dodgy weird echhi friends like in Komi (that one blonde girl in Komi who's always trying to look up her skirt I could seriously do without). 

At any rate, it seems pretty obvious to the rest of the class (and even to the most popular guy, who everyone kinda expects Mie to be interested in) that the pair are made for each other and like each other. Have I said wholesome already? It's seriously wholesome. Komura has the classic hang up that he thinks he's not good enough. Mie is both clueless and not. 

It's very, very sweet. The "different" aspect is that the animation is of a very different style. They use odd angles and sort of hyper-realistic hair (man, she's got a lot of hair) and it's both intriguing and a bit off-putting at the same time. I've never seen another anime like it. 

When I started it, I didn't realise it wasn't fully released, so here I am awaiting episodes. Will update when I have finished it. I've heard the manga is equally wholesome and sweet...though, to be honest, I doubt if I'll pick it up because I think the anime is likely sufficient to scratch the itch for this particular story.

Edit: I did finish it and it was very sweet, though also not a huge resolution at the end. But, hey, they're middle schoolers.

No comments: