Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Where Stars Land

So, it's Halloween and the little dude has a friend over for a playdate. We're off tomorrow to Dublin (a friend is watching the dog). I've finished all of the paperwork for little dude's school stuff. I've done the packing. Made a cottage pie for a family that recently lost the dad at little dude's school. Washed all the clothes. Decorated pumpkins. Answered emails. So I had about 1/2 hour and a bit to waste. Thought I'd watch a Kdrama episode. But Shopping King Louie episodes are an hour long and I didn't quite feel in the mood for 20th Century Boy and Girl again. So...er...I started a third drama. Am I bad? Yes, yes I am.

I think Where Stars Land is an ongoing one, which isn't necessarily what I should have done, but for some reason it appealed to me today and the episodes are only 30 minutes long on Viki. It might be because I saw a clip of the show on Facebook the other day featuring some of the secondary characters and I liked it.

Han Yeo Reum (Chae Soo Bin) is not a model employee. After finally landing her dream job at Incheon airport, she's been transferred to different departments because she's apparently got a temper. The write up says she "is a bubbly new passenger service agent at the airport who is eager to do her best. But her clumsy nature makes her a threat to herself and the passengers." but when watching it, that doesn't really seem like the case. She's not particularly bubbly or clumsy. She was moved on for swearing at customers and roundhouse kicking someone. She's late for her first day of work, even though a friend/brother/someone? calls her to make sure she's awake. Honestly, not sure so far why I should be rooting for her...but hopefully she gets a good character arc. She's the type to always get lost and never ask for help.

On the way to her first day in her new department (Customer Service support of some kind), she has a chance encounter with Lee Soo Yeon (Lee Je Hoon). A magnetic one. No, really, I mean that literally. Like, the compass she wears around her neck gets stuck to his arm. The Viki description says that his dream was to be a pilot but he has poor eyesight and now works in "General Planning" in the same department as Han Yeo Reum. And he has a secret. They're the two romantic leads based on the photos/title page. So far she doesn't like him much but, hey, I don't like her much at this point either.

All we as viewers know about him as of the end of the first episode is that he's a bit of a silent, deadpan type and doesn't have any friends in particular. And now he's been assigned to act as a watchdog/supervisor over Yeo Reum even though he's only worked at the airport for a couple of months, so he's competent, if not well-loved. I do like deadpan guys, especially when they warm up later on, so we'll see. There are hints that his secret might have something to do with super strength, which would be a bit weird, but meh, okay.

I honestly have no particular opinion after watching the first episode. It could turn into something good or it could fizzle. There's not really enough to go on yet to form an opinion. More after I watch some more episodes. I have hopes as the rating is over 9 on Viki. That's usually a good sign.

Edit: Have watched through four now. Hmmmmmm. She's definitely my least fav female lead so far. Really. She's terrible. Bad at her job. Judgemental. Quick to anger/argue. Chip on her shoulder. No obvious reason for her to act the way she does, as we know very little about her past other than that she was a bad student and didn't go to a good university. Seems lazy. Always looking for a shortcut. Doesn't listen. Basically, always does the wrong thing and then gets pissed when it doesn't go her way.

The only reason I'd say I'm still watching it is that a) it doesn't seem to be following a typical Kdrama structure and b) I'm curious about the male lead, though we also know precious little about him as well at this point. Super strength aka Strong Woman Do Bong Soon? Just a metal/bionic arm? Some kind of secret past? Military training? Taciturn but goodhearted. Wants to hide but can't help but help people. He's sort of the antithesis of the girl, which is, I imagine, the point. But, as a viewer, I don't see why you would want to inflict her on him. There doesn't seem to be any benefit in it.

I get the feeling this is one that, if I finish it, it won't be because of the romantic aspect.

No comments: