Sunday, October 21, 2018

Our Two Bedroom Story: Tsumugu Kido

It's been awhile since I read any Voltage stories in Love 365. There hadn't been any free ones that appealed to me lately and I've been busy (you know, bingeing Kdramas). But some new ones came up and I thought, eh, what the heck. I've actually canceled my subscription to the app and have some un-read purchased stories already too...I think I'd been getting frustrated at the varying quality of the stories.

Anyway, this was probably not a good one to jump back in on. In general, Our Two Bedroom Story isn't my fav but it's also not my most hated either. Kind of in the middle. I don't mind forced cohabitation stories as a general rule. There can be some interesting hijinks there and I didn't remember the MC being too bad in this one. Did I do Minato before? I think so. It's been awhile. Probably pre-Love 365.

Nobody's laughing, Kido. You're not funny.
So, you're a journalist working on Chess Monthly or Weekly or whatever. You've also just moved into a house with a guy you don't know through some sort of sketchy connection with your new stepfather. His name is Kido and he's rude, slobby, moneygrubbing/cheap and speaks in a very non-sophisticated Kansai dialect. You get transferred into the Seasonelle magazine -- it's the happening place full of hot, capable dudes. Tsumugu Kido is headhunted and joins in at the same time as you. He's put together and kind of smarmy and you don't trust his smile. He makes bad pun jokes.

The MC is dumb as rocks this time.

Seriously. It takes her approximately forever (more than halfway through the chapters) to figure out that both the dudes named Kido are the SAME FUCKING GUY. Even when there's so much evidence pointing to it that a non-verbal toddler could figure it out. I mean, come on.

And Tsumugu, as one of the other guys points out, is totally tsun-tsun... He's a jerk. No dere. Even towards the end when he finally gives the MC some grudging compliments, he insults her at the same time.

I would have enjoyed this route more if there was one more ending option. Rather than just "good" and "happy" there should be a "you kick his ass and smack that smarmy jerkface smile right off of him" option.

But this MC has a serious mothering/saviour complex. She covers for him to the point that she somehow winds up wrecking her reputation (where the other guys on the team thinks she's picked up some random dude from off the street to sleep with while they are on some company retreat) rather than outing him.

So. Yeah.

No comments: