Monday, May 13, 2019

Beauty is a Vampire

Actually, beauty has nothing to do with vampires. Little dude has just been listening to Bullet with Butterfly Wings a lot lately and it's stuck in my head. Despite all my rage...perhaps, on reflection, I shouldn't have introduced him to that song.

Though, I suppose, you could make an argument that Beauty, subjectively, is a vampire in many ways.

But...that's not what I'm hear to talk about today. Not going that deep. Instead...I finally finished the Beauty Inside while at the gym today. I didn't watch any while I was in Prague (more on Prague another time, as I've loads to say about that).

So...well, I enjoyed this one. But, at the same time, I can't say that I absolutely adored it. It was good. It was fairly satisfying. But the last half...there weren't really any high stakes at all. I thought they'd at least go into some kind of chaebol fight for the company thing, but nah. And they stuck in a year separation (at least he was getting surgery to fix his face blindness...though in reality, no such surgery exists) that was kind of stupid and full of Noble Martrydom (on her part). But there was no immediacy or urgency in the story's last half.

I mean, I actually fairly like stuff that's low-key on the crazy drama front, but this was a little too low-key. There wasn't even any real tension in the secondary relationship and he'd started off wanting to be a priest!

I did enjoy the actors, though. Liked all of them. And the last episode was fairly full of the warm fuzzies. I'd recommend this one to people who hadn't seen any Kdrama before as it seems like a good entry point.

Am I glad I watched it? Yeah. I did want a bit more out of it...but I think that may be because I'm a bit jaded now. I've watched enough of these things that I know what's possible and what's standard and while the premise of this one was intriguing (if ridiculous), they didn't really utilise it much in the last half. It was a bit too predictable and "normal" (if that's the right word) in the last half, especially for a magical realism type of story.

Would I watch it again? Probably not. Though this is one that little dude might enjoy (the first half especially, where there were some ridiculous things happening because of her changing).

No comments: