Tuesday, June 25, 2019

I'm a Dilettante at times...

After (finally) finishing Birth of a Beauty, I wasn't really sure what to watch next. I watched about 5 minutes of the second episode of Her Private Life. Nothing wrong with it, but I just wasn't in the mood.

Then 2/3 of Fated to Love You's first episode...though, admittedly, I had already sort-of watched it on a low quality version I'd found on YouTube. I'd really wanted to see it after watching Jang Hyuk in Wok of Love because the bromance in that one was so much better than the drama. It had finally popped up on Netflix recently...but that was after I'd seen some reviews/clips of it wherein everyone mostly liked it...but I was a bit spoilered by learning that at some point they have their inevitable break up/separation and it's partly because she gets in some kind of accident and loses their baby. And...just...I dunno. There are some things that are too painful. So I'm ambivalent about whether or not I want to see it. I realise that Jang Hyuk will provide a lot of laughs in the show and there will probably be some nice moments as well...but do I want to sit through the horribly depressing dead baby bits?

And so I watched about 10 or 15 minutes of My Girlfriend is a Gumiho which has three actors I really like: Lee Seung Gi, Shin Min Ah, and No Min Woo (aka ICON) but it wasn't grabbing me (though I am sure I will watch it some time). Maybe it was too silly for my frame of mind? Or because it starts off where she's already his "girlfriend" but she threatens to eat him? I dunno.

So I decided to try My Horrible Boss kind of randomly (aka Ms. Temper and Nam Jung-Gi). Well, probably because I'd already downloaded the first episode. Let's be honest.

It has Yoon Sang-Hyun (of Shopping King Louie and Secret Garden) playing Nam Jung-Gi. And he's the male lead. Never seen him in the lead role before...he's usually some bizarre, over the top second lead character. Here he's still a bit over the top but in the opposite direction -- he's the guy that really, really wants to keep his head down and just support his family and not cause waves. He's timid and easily swayed though he's a bit Walter Mitty in that he sometimes imagines what he would do IF he had the guts to do it.

The female lead is Lee Yo-Won playing Ok Da-Jung. She's known as Ms. Temper and has been thrice divorced, even though she's pretty young. She scares the bejesus out of Jung-Gi. She's tough. Merciless. But obviously hurting underneath -- the whole woman in a man's world thing.

There are a lot of ridiculous scenes already in the first episode and I don't know that I was in the mood for that type of thing, but it pulled me in anyway, probably because of Yoon Sang-Hyun...because he is able to play a character of great pathos and depth, even when it's for laughs. There's also a number of other actors I've seen in other things (and liked), like Chansung and Hwang Bo-Ra (What's Wrong with Secretary Kim) and Yoo Jae-Myung and Kim Sun-Young (loads of things).

Though I'm kinda wondering if there's going to be any romance in this one. Or will it all be played for laughs? At least it's only 16 episodes...though they are fairly long ones. Ah, meh. Now I'm wondering if I want to keep on with it right now or try something else that will be more happy/touchy-feely. Crap.

Edit, later that day...So. I wound up watching the end of Thirty but Seventeen again. The more Kdramas I watch, the more I appreciate that one. Yes, it had some of the most ridiculous plot coincidences EVER but it also has one of the sweetest endings ever. I just really needed something I knew I was going to like today.

No comments: