Wednesday, September 04, 2019

I Hear You

So...I still had some time at the gym and I didn't have another Accidentally in Love downloaded (and the wifi was dodgy), so I started another Chinese drama that I had already downloaded an episode of. It's called I Hear You.  The short blurb I'd seen somewhere said it was a romance between two very different people; him, a serious violinist and her, an aspiring voice actress...and they meet on some reality TV show. Just found a longer blurb on and it says:

Bei Er Duo, a girl from an ordinary family, dreams about studying in Japan to be a professional voice actress. However, her mother wants her to marry rich whilst she is young, leading to continuous blind dates which irritate Bei Er Duo. In her desperation to raise funds for studying overseas as well as helping her best friend Tang Li out of a crisis, Bei Er Duo joins a couple reality program, encountering top violin maker Ye Shu Wei.  
Ye Shu Wei is from a family of artists and has a low-key, mysterious, and genius character in both the composing and violin industry. He was forced to join the reality program having lost a bet to his nephew Yu Sheng. In fact, the actual reason that attracted Ye Shu Wei to participate in the show is not his bet with Yu Sheng. Instead, he seeks to identify the person who correctly answered his audition question. Because the reality show is faced with the crisis of integrity, Bei Er Duo and Ye Shu Wei start a lively and funny cohabitation life, and spontaneously fell into the fate of a wonderful romance together.



Hmmm. Well. That all sounds lovely, right? And the episodes are just around 30 minutes, which is good. Eh, I dunno. I stopped when I ran out of time and I've still got maybe 8 minutes to go in the episode but so far he seems like a pretty big asshole (is that what passes for mysterious?) and she's kinda stupid, with a permanently pouty face. And they appear to totally hate each other...her, mostly because she interviewed for a voice acting spot he was a judge on and she overheard the person who got it talking about how it was guaranteed because she was the daughter of some bigwig and so she (FL) was pissed that it was all a waste of time and blames it (rightly or not) on him. No idea what's up with him. But they still wind up pretending to be a couple on this reality dating show even though they don't know each other because she wants money to go to Japan. So, yeah, bit morally ambiguous. It wasn't what I was expecting. And the acting hasn't impressed me particularly.

I dunno why, but the girls with the permanent pouts really do annoy me. It's not her fault that's her face, I suppose. And I'm sure some people love that look. Just not me. And the dude seemed wooden. I'll probably finish the episode but not sure if I'll go beyond that. We'll see. I haven't had huge success with Chinese language dramas anyway. Maybe that's part of it.

Edit: Okay. I finished the first episode. Felt I needed to do at least that. And...just...meh. Don't particularly care for the actors (or, at least, their respective portrayals in this particular show). Didn't enjoy the premise. Saw no chemistry or hints thereof. Found the FL to be particularly off-putting. Found the ML to be playing it way too stiff in a ridiculous way. So I looked up some reviews and...sounds like it goes on in that fashion and that the chemistry between them never really improves (mostly on her part; apparently he's lovely and adorable once he loosens up) AND the killer...the end has the whole Noble Idiot thing going on with a separation for no reason, etc. etc. So this one is going on to my "not planning to finish list" right away.

No comments: