Saturday, December 12, 2020

Holmes of Kyoto

I started another anime called Holmes of Kyoto which is ostensibly a mystery-solve-cases-Sherlockian series. That said, none of the episodes so far have been remotely surprising or shocking and the "mysteries" have been ridiculously easy to figure out. Even so, I'm enjoying it. It's comfortable and easy. 

In it we meet Aoi, a high school girl going through some heartbreak after moving to Kyoto. Her old boyfriend and former best friend in her old hometown have hooked up and are dating now. She feels angry and betrayed and wants to give them a piece of her mind. She brings in some of her late grandfather's scrolls to an antique shop, intending to get them appraised so she can possibly sell them to buy a train ticket back to her old city and give the traitors a piece of her mind. Instead, she winds up hired as a part time worker.

Which is all a little trite. But, okay, whatever.

The grandson of the store's owner is the eponymous Holmes with Sherlock's uncanny ability to see right through any situation. Except, as I mentioned above, I'm actually 6 episodes in now and...yeah, I'm just as good as you, Holmes-san. These are not difficult mysteries.

He's attending Kyoto University and is nursing his own romantic heartbreak (his girlfriend left him for someone more exuberant). So he feels sympathy for Aoi. There are definitely teasers of possible romance between the two of them so far, though it's fairly innocent. 

Each episode adds to the cast of characters, some of which show up again. A playboy actor type, a new female friend for Aoi, an unlikely judo expert... 

Anyway, I like it. It's not a stellar or outstanding show, but it's good for a casual watch. It's light, though not frothy, if that makes sense. The "enemy" (i.e. the Moriarty of the show) is an odd one -- an art forger that is determined to outwit Holmes. It's kind of an odd dynamic.

As a bonus, I am learning a little bit about the history of various types of Asian art.

Edit: I finished this one. Apparently 2 weeks ago. Ooops. They definitely left it open for another season. I liked it. I wouldn't say I loved it. I could have done without the Ensho (art forger/Moriarty dude) part and just had it be antiques-related mysteries. 

The relationship between the two leads did progress, but very, very slowly. She's realised she likes him (and she's about to enter Uni, so that makes it feel a bit better) but hasn't confessed. Literally EVERYONE (grandma, grandpa, friends, dad...) can tell he likes her and keeps giving him not very veiled advice to get his butt in gear or lose out but he's made no active moves. So that was a little WTF. But, I guess they are modeling him after Sherlock after all...

If I see another season, I will watch it. But I don't think this is one that I'd go out of my way to try and find the manga for or anything like that. I liked it, but I didn't love it.

No comments: