Friday, September 24, 2021

Move to Heaven

I keep catching up to the last episode released in Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha and I can only watch Viki shows at the gym, so I started another show for home workout watching: Move to Heaven

I'd seen a trailer (or clip or something) for this one a little while ago and thought I would give it a try even though it a) looks like it will probably be a bit of a tear jerker and b) probably doesn't have much romance. There was something poignant about it that drew me. 

I'm gonna be lazy and post the summary from AsianWiki:

Geu-Ru (Tang Joon-Sang) is a young man with Asperger syndrome. He works for his father’s business “Move To Heaven.” Their job is to arrange items left by deceased people. One day, Geu-Ru's own father dies. Gue-Ru is left alone, but his uncle Sang-Gu (Lee Je-Hoon) suddenly appears in front of him. Sang-Gu is a cold man. He was a martial artist who fought in underground matches. He went to prison because of what happened at his fight. Sang-Gu now becomes Geu-Ru’s guardian. They run “Move To Heaven” together.

In the first episode (which is as far as I've gotten), you meet Geu-Ru and his father and, at the very end, the uncle, who bursts into poor Geu-Ru's life in a spectacularly rude fashion. Weirdly, the dad is an actor (Ji Jin-Hee) that I randomly followed on Instagram some time ago, so I recognised him. I have no idea why I'd started following him as I've never seen him in anything before. Maybe because he's my age? I have no idea.

The scenes with the father and son were very sweet. And also the bits with Geu-Ru and his female friend (not sure if she's supposed to be much older or around the same age--I think around the same, though the actress herself is a few years older than him). Joon-Sang is doing an excellent job portraying an Asperger's character. 

I can already tell this will be a very emotional drama and the construct seems like it will partly follow what they discover in each trauma cleaning job and, I'm sure, the easing of the asshole-ness of the uncle. Not entirely sure it'll be a good drama to exercise to, but it is what it is. At least the shed is private and I can cry in peace if I have to.

Edit: Ok, I've been getting on with this one. And it's really good. But it's really quite heavy. I expected that, but...it's hard to watch it two days in a row. I really, really hope it ends on a high(er) note. It's also a lot more about the uncle than I thought it would be.

No comments: