Saturday, January 08, 2022

Behind the Frame

One of the games I picked up recently on Steam is an atypical one for me: Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery. It's made by a Taiwanese developer/studio. It isn't otome, but it is a visual story.  You could probably call it joseimuke-ish.  It's done in a very anime-style and is...a puzzle game? A visual novel? A mystery? All of those things and more, I suppose.

I'm honestly not even sure how I came upon it. Maybe it was in my list of recommendations? I dunno. Visually, it's really glorious. There are little animated scene cuts that are just lovely, making it feel a bit like a movie. I've played about 105 minutes so far, according to Steam and I'd guess I'm about halfway to 3/4 through the game. It's not super long, but it is beautiful.

You sort-of play as a painter, working on a piece to apply for a gallery submission. Every day, you have your coffee and breakfast, enjoy some music, and work on it. But things aren't quite...normal. Every day, somehow, the document on your laptop you create & save disappears, and you have to re-do it. And, strangely, your paints and things are hidden in secret drawers. And there's something about your across the way neighbour -- an old man who's also a painter and has a cat that breaks into your house. You even find a secret room you didn't know existed. And why can't you leave the house? What about the story told about some young lovers in the paintings around your flat? Is it you in the pictures? What happened to them?

I honestly don't have any answers yet. I remain very confused, but hopeful that all will be explained. I would definitely say that this is an unexpected game and a delight, if also very confusing. And somehow, I think it's more about the journey than the destination.

Weirdly, the store description calls it relaxing. It's a bit too spooky and mysterious for that, at least for me. Vivid and eloquent though, yes, I can get behind those descriptors. Will update after I finish it.

No comments: