Saturday, January 01, 2022

Would you like a cup of coffee? Coffee Hanjan Halggayo?

So, I'd finished that From 5 to 9 Japanese Drama (it was a meh, okay one) and I felt like I just needed something...inoffensive? So I started Would You Like a Cup of Coffee? It's a short Korean drama with short-ish episodes and only 12 of them.

Kang Go-Bi (Ong Seong-Wu) is university aged but struggling (he's failed some type of exam at the start, though I'm not sure which one). He visits a coffee shop to drown his sorrows in caffeine and has a "God Shot" moment over the perfectly brewed cup served to him. 

So he's determined to learn what he can from the owner, Park Seok (Park Ho-San) and sort of politely stalks himself into a job. I'm through the third episode now, with the first two being how he got the job and his training, more or less. The third episode features a sort of side-story with a new regular to the cafe that Go-Bi felt was taking advantage (staying all day to work, taking calls, only ordering two cups of coffee, etc.). 

Basically, it's very slice of life, a bit life lesson-y, slightly low-key charming. I'm enjoying it so far and it is, indeed, as inoffensive as I thought it would be. Good to start the new year off with. Also interesting to learn about all the steps to making a good coffee--I always suspected there's a lot of artistry to it and it goes to show what is needed. It's why you can go to the same coffee shop and have a cup made by different baristas and only one is right.

Though it is making me miss my favourite coffee shops and working in them. It feels like forever since I've had a relaxing work time like that. And I totally get Go-Bi's feelings on the guy who parks himself all day. I'm always very cognisant on how much time I spend and what table I take up (don't take up a 4 top when you're by yourself, dude!) and how much I order when I'm at a place. Of course, I also tend to develop relationships with the owners too. I miss the coffee shops of London. I have written so many of my novels in coffee shops, words mixed in with the scent of coffee, the sound of the steamer, the clink of cups.

I wonder when I'll be able to do that again? I've only found one coffee shop here that suits (in the city centre), though I've not really spent much time there as yet (pandemic, pandemic). 

Edit: Okay, I finished this one. There was a small bit of angst and then a big bit, but the big bit was actually just because they addressed the pandemic at the start of the 12th episode and it depressed the hell out of me. I am worn down, man.

Anyway, I won't rehash it all. It's not a show in which a great deal happens, exactly. No sweeping arcs. No huge changes. But it was really lovely and well done. I enjoyed it. Can't imagine anyone else in my family watching or liking it, but it was quite good.

Am I glad I watched it? Yes. Would I watch it again? Hmmmm, I dunno. Maybe? It's not the kind of show that has epic, super satisfying moments. It's all just...nice. But maybe I would, some years from now, in a very nostalgic kind of way. They did a good job with it.

No comments: