Monday, November 23, 2020

Love Guaranteed

 I'm not even sure why I'm writing this one up. I don't do a write up on most "normal" movies we watch. But it's D&D night and my character is currently dead as a doornail, so I don't have anything to do other that cheer the others on. So...I watched this last night. Hubby made it about half way through before he was snoring. 


It's got Rachael Leigh Cook (remember her from She's All That?) and Damon Wayans Jr. She's an upstanding lawyer who takes too many pro bono cases to be able to pay her employees, but they love her anyway. He's a physical therapist with a heart of gold and has been looking for love since his fiance jilted him. Basically, he's been on a 1000 dates and wants to sue a dating service called Love Guaranteed for breach of contract. She takes the case because...well, she needs to eat. 

She soon revises her opinion of him (thinking he was just after a payout). Honestly, both of them are impossibly too pure for this world. Everyone loves them. They're too perfect. That's probably the biggest strongpoint and weak point of the movie. They are impossible. They are completely unbelievable, but, of course, perfect for each other.

They take the case to court (Heather Graham features here as the bazillionaire space cadet new-age nonsense spouting owner of the dating service) and it comes down to hinging on them winning IF he doesn't admit he's fallen in love with his lawyer because, while he didn't meet her through the dating service, he met her BECAUSE of it. Cue dramatic courtroom confession. A non-altruistic change of heart of the owner, and yay, happily ever after.

So, it's okay. It's imminently predictable. It works at all only because Wayans is perfectly charming here. Cook is okay as well. I think I watched it mostly because I was interested to see them after not having seen either of them in so long. But it's not a great movie. It won't be a classic. I don't see myself re-watching it again. There's no great depth to it and every move is telegraphed -- which is, to be fair, okay if that's the kind of comfort food you're looking for.

No comments: