Thursday, November 12, 2020

Wannabe Challenge

So I haven't posted about any otome for a while, probably because I've been more or less treading water with them. Still playing Mr. Love Queen's Choice, but I haven't actually advanced past chapter 17 even though there are now apparently over 20 chapters and they've even been divided into volumes...basically, I've just been doing the daily tasks. Obey Me I am playing just sporadically. I would actually really LOVE to play through my comfort app -- Mystic Messenger -- but I don't have the kind of time it takes to devote to it (especially the late night chats and phone calls) right now. Gotta get little man up at 6 AM for school. 

BUT I randomly decided to join an otome group on Facebook because it popped up. And that brought a new game to my attention called Wannabe Challenge. Which, okay, I detest the name. BUT it's a Korean made game (like Mystic Messenger) and it uses some of the same voice actors (Jang Kim! Zen!). So that right there was enough to make me download it.


Gameplay-wise...it's more similar to Mr. Love than anything else. There are cards to collect and it looks like there's an avatar to dress up. A gacha to get cards. Not in love with that. BUT the interface is clean and seems easy to use. Storyline reasonably engaging (so far -- I'm still in the first chapter) though a bit young feeling. Basically, you're a 21 year old model who seems to feel (maybe rightly...hard to say) that she's had bad luck all her life and that her mother (who used to be a top model) doesn't love her. However, there's some past lives kind of thing because 3 goblins and 1 otherworldly fox-ish dude are connected to her and now that she's 21, they've come to find her in the real world. 

The guys are Taehee (dark hair), Biho (red hair), Hansol (blondie), Yooha (silvery-haired fox dude). So far they all seem like cinnamon roll sweetness. There are apparently texts, phone calls, and Instagram-y posts where you can interact with them. There are choices you make in the story sections that do seem to change their feelings for you, but no idea yet whether or not it's a true game mechanic (as in Mystic Messenger where you can try and pick a route) or if it's like in Mr. Love where you're kinda a four-timing dilettante. I'm guessing it's probably the latter, given the rest of the app, but I have hope it's more like a traditional otome.

The Wannabe thing -- essentially, it's supposed to be an app like Instagram. And she's trying to win a competition on it to become more self sufficient? Honestly, I'm not totally sure what's up with her other than that she wants to move out from her mom's place but things with her job suck? Though there's hints that's got some otherworldly root cause. I mean, dude, her boss's name is Sloth. WTF. Though, maybe it's the perspective of age, but if she weren't so freaking negative and bleh about life, maybe it would be better...(in a nutshell, not totally loving the MC so far--the MC in Mr. Love is written sort of purposefully dumb and naive, while this one seems like a Debby Downer O Woe is Me. Both are a bit annoying.).

Like Mr. Love, the "story" missions are alternated with task missions; in this case, photoshoots. You can upgrade the cards and the "camera" you use to take the shots. Looks a bit grind-y as you collect items when you do the photoshoots that are then used to upgrade the cards. 

Basically...yeah...I'm totally playing this to hear the voice actors. It's got Zen and 707. The story bits with the voice acting are actually quite long, which is both a good and bad thing. Like I mentioned above, I've not got loads of time at the moment to play (er...I should actually be doing something else right now other than writing this up...) so I am moving very, very slowly through this one. Like, maybe 4 missions a day at the moment? Which is probably okay, I suppose. But you want to be able to have a chunk of time to sit down, because you actually want to listen to the VAs and not skip through it...

There's a bunch of stuff I haven't unlocked yet as I haven't made it out of the first chapter, including the dress up stuff. So I'll report back later. 

But, hey, kudos to an otome app where the girl actually HAS EYES. Though, man, I can't wait until I can change her out of her short shorts outfit. It's ridiculous. I don't even like avatar dress up things but I am too old to look at the MC in that outfit. It makes me cringe. Put some clothes on, girl! The dudes are all wearing winter coats and you're walking around like Daisy Duke! FFS!



No comments: