Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Kiss Goblin

 Heh, what a silly name for a show. I'd randomly seen a clip on Facebook for this show & added it to my Viki list...when I noticed that the episodes are really short. Like, 12 minutes each or so. Which made me go Yay! because, while I'm enjoying the shows I'm in the middle of, I also kinda wanted to get through something, you know what I mean?

This is a 2020 series with actors that I've not really seen much, though the male lead looks very like someone else. Anyway, let me start over.

Ban Sook (played by Bae In Hyuk -- he's very new, having debuted in 2019 apparently) is a 160 year old Goblin (someday, I gotta look up exactly what that means in Korean mythology -- they are definitely otherworldly & have shown up in various other shows, but I don't feel like they exactly correspond to fairy tale creatures I am familiar with) and he wants nothing more than to become human. He doesn't want to be alone. So...he's gotta kiss 10 different people to gave an emotion from each, as set out by the Goblin Queen. 

Oh Yeon Ah (played by Jeon Hye Won) catches him kissing her best friend (after she saw him kissing another girl the night before) and is righteously angry. But she soon discovers his secret -- honestly, he's remarkably up front about who he is to her -- though she doesn't believe it until an exorcist (played by Jang Eui Su, who was apparently in A Gentleman's Dignity...a show I couldn't finish) shows up trying to kill him. Then she finds herself in the strange place of being his protector (a human shield, if you will) while Ban Sook is on his kissing mission.

As he gains emotions (anger, joy, compassion, emptiness, etc.) things get more complicated for both of them. Meanwhile, there's her ex-boyfriend (who is a supreme ass), a barista that's had a crush on her for 2 years, and perhaps a hidden relationship complication between the Goblin Queen and the exorcist. 

I'm half way through after this morning's exercise session and should be able to finish it off tomorrow. I have hope it will end well, though I can see that it might be one of those things where she's his 10th kiss (and after they've kissed, the girls forget everything about him, so it might be one of those things.) But, it's got a light feel about it, so I'm hoping it wraps up nicely.

Edit: Finished it. And it was exactly like I predicted it would be -- She's his 10th kiss (after they've declared that they'll have their "first day" after he's become human & they've figured out they like each other). She's even fine with it -- says, yo, dude, you're handsome & my type, just ask me out and make me fall in love with you again, you did it once, it'll work (which was refreshing, at least), but the additional wrinkle is that HE also loses all memory of being a goblin (and her). So then he's gonna leave the world instead, but the exorcist dude tries to attack her to get him to come back and Goblin dude goes medieval on him. 

Ultimately, they do kiss and a year later, they're in a class together and the Goblin Queen does a little nudge in the right direction by putting them together for a group project and you know it'll lead somewhere...

So, given what this was & the short episodes, I don't have any real complaints. I mean, there are some serious gaps as far as realistic world building: what, he just comes awake with no memory of ANYTHING & then poof he's in uni? And if he was erased from her memory completely, how does that work? Does she have, like, a month long gap because they were together constantly? And then there's the other people that he didn't kiss -- they would remember him. It's one of those things that you just can't think about too hard. 

That said, it was a nice little diversion. The actors were all good. Their chemistry was nice. It was satisfying, if predictable (to me, anyway...I saw a review where someone was talking about OMG the plot twist!! but nothing about this show surprised me at all. But that's okay. If it had been a full length series, I'd be annoyed. But they packed enough in for the time they had. 

Am I glad I watched it? Yeah, it was a nice bit of fluff. I enjoyed it. 

No comments: