Saturday, January 02, 2021

Home for Christmas


I thought I'd try something completely different & Christmasy to watch and tried out the first two episodes of Home for Christmas...which sounds like it'd be a Hallmark movie from the US, but isn't. Rather, it's a Norwegian show featuring 30 year old Johanne. 

Tired of being stuck at the kid's table at the holidays, she lies to her family that she has a boyfriend (her last one having dumped her 3 years previously, something she is obviously not over). What happens next are a series of bad dates & lots of advice from her roomate/friend.

Sigh. Okay, so I was actually really enjoying this one. She's a relatable character and the show, while a bit raunchy, is also irreverent and fairly charming and it's fun to watch something Scandinavian for a change. But then I made the mistake of looking forward in the Netflix episode list...

Yeah. So, at the end of the second episode, she has a date with a 19 year old where they drink a lot of champagne and dance & then go back to his place (where he still lives with his parents) and essentially have crazy sex the rest of the night to the point that she's giddy. I'm not sure they said more than 5 words to each other before that. 

And I'm not a prude or upset that she's hooked up with someone. But...I didn't expect him to be the one she winds up pining for (seeing as how they'd heavily hinted that really nice bartender dude was into her + the slightly clueless but decent doctor as well). And it's obvious from the brief blurbs under the episodes through into the next season that the 19 year old stud is, indeed, what she thinks she wants but they have loads of trouble and probably don't wind up together anyway.

And, honestly, I don't feel like sticking around for all that. Not when there's an age gap that big between them. And it isn't so much just the age thing...it's the experience gap. She's a nurse. He's a kid. If he was 25 at the very least maybe. Eh, I dunno.

I might give it another episode or two. I did like the characters until it took this turn.

No comments: