Sunday, January 03, 2021

Lovestruck in the City

 Okay, they totally had me at this starring Ji Chang-wook and Kim Ji-won. Well, mostly Wookie. I mean, I like her too, but he's just a charmer. 

Lovestruck in the City is a new Kdrama with an interesting format, acting like an erstwhile docudrama about people in Seoul who may or may not be in love. Honestly, not sure if I'm liking or hating the construct so far, as it doesn't totally make sense. Do they see each other's interviews or not? If so, how does Ji-won's character not immediately recognise Wookie and the fact that he's talking about her? And how did they get selected for this show anyway? And why did they agree to be on it? It's left me with more questions than answers, though I get the sense that it's supposed to be charming and quirky.

And it's not really just a show focused on the two of them (though they are obviously the main leads), as there's a big ensemble cast, including Kim Min-Suk. They're all supposed to be on the show, giving a lot of 4th wall interviews to the camera.

So, Wookie plays an architect. And he once fell in love with a girl (Ji-won) while on an extended surfing vacation. Something happened -- no idea what, but it was mostly her fault (?). He still pines after her a bit and she remembers him fondly as well. Presumably, they both don't know that they are both back in the same city.

I'm only one episode in and it's good. There are supposed to be 12 episodes according to AsianWiki but Netflix is showing 16 (with only 4 out so far -- the last to be released on 16 February). So I'm totally breaking my "don't watch shows that aren't fully released" rule for this. I might actually wait a while before watching any more (they're only 30 minutes long). I've got hope that they don't mess it up. It's got a good cast and good production value, so...

 




No comments: