Saturday, January 02, 2021

We Rent Tsukumogami

 I watched the first episode of this anime, er, last week? I'm behind on my blogging. A lot. Anyway...

Basically, two siblings (who aren't actually related? Which is a relief, as there's obviously some attraction there, which is a thing that Japanese stuff does a lot but grosses me out...but at least in this case they aren't biologically related) run a rental shop. It's set in some historical timeframe. 17th Century Japan? Anyway, while some of their items are "normal," many are special Tsukumogami -- objects that were so loved by their owners that they have taken on a life of their own. 

It seems to be a mystery-ish series of some kind. In the first episode, a guy "hires" them to find out who stole a special Tsukumogami from him. Though it turns out that he already knows who did it...

I'm not gonna recap it. I guess I'll just sum it up this way: the show seems interesting and quaint. I wouldn't say it completely grabbed me, but I'm curious enough that at some point I am likely to watch more of it. 

Not sure I want to recommend it to little dude though...it's got prostitutes and arranged marriage and some other adult themes. Not too terrible, but still...as a mum, not really wanting to encourage him to watch stuff with a red light district featured in it...

That said, the Tsukumogami are very silly, so it's a bit confusing as to who exactly this show is targeted to. But, after only one episode, I can't say that I have a good handle on it yet.


No comments: