Friday, February 26, 2021

Mr. Queen

Oh, I've so been waiting to watch this one. I wouldn't normally watch one historical (sort of) right after another (seeing as I just finally finished The Tale of Nok-du) but I've been seeing all these clips of Mr. Queen and it looks like exactly what I need in my frame of mind. Super ridiculousness.

Also, it's got Shin Hye-Sun and I really enjoy her. Anyway, let's start with the craziness that is this story...it's basically an isekai. Kinda. Or whatever you'd call that in Korean.

Jang Bong-Hwan, played by Choi Jin-Hyuk (who I also like, even though I couldn't finish Panda & Hedgehog) is a chef and has worked his way up to work at The Blue House (think White House, but Korean). He's a very self confident guy and a bit of a womaniser. He winds up fired through some kind of plot by another chef and some higher up dude (no idea why) and while sort of running from the police, he winds up falling many stories from his balcony to the pool below. He hits his head. While underwater, he sees a woman that swims up to him and gives him the "breath of life" or whatever they always do in these dramas instead of just dragging people to the surface. But when he wakes up, he finds that he's been transferred into that woman's body. And not only is he now a girl, he's also way back in the Joseon period. And she's not just any girl -- she's Kim So-Yong and about to marry the King. And he's not just any king, but King Cheoljong (played with comic deadliness by Kim Jung-Hyun--I saw him in the few episodes of Waikiki), who is supposed to be incredibly stupid AND is known as the sex maniac of the Joseon period AND is destined to die after only ruling for 14 years (probably at the hands of the same people who helped put him on the throne). At least, that's what Jang remembers from his school lessons. I have no idea if the sex addict part is historically accurate. Ahem.

Anyway, on the Joseon side, the about-to-be-queen was seen walking in the palace grounds at night for some unknown reason and then was found floating in the pond. She was unconscious for awhile and when she awakens (but with Jang inside her), she, of course, is acting a bit...off. Jang soon figures out that he's gone back in time and his soul/awareness has been transferred. He wants to get BACK. He does NOT want to be a woman. He thinks the way to do this must be to go back in the lake (other water sources don't seem to work and water is the only common factor he knows of) but the Queen Dowager has had them all drained. For safety. Yeah.

By the end of the first episode, they are married and Jang is trying really hard to figure out a way out of the marriage night shenanigans. There are hints that the original Lady Kim is still inside him too (or her memories) and also hints that the King may have had something to do with what happened to her. He certainly is playing dumb, but is he? Definitely the ministers and Queen Dowagers (there are two?) have lots of plots going on.

As I expected, there's lots of comedy and slapstick. The actors are all great. Already loving the court ladies. I'm sure it will get to a point (I've already seen clips of scenes) where it gets more serious and deadly (I mean, court intrigue) but I have high hopes for this one.

Edit: Have watched 4 episodes now and Bwahahahaha I SO love this one.

Edit: Okay, I finished it. I absolutely did love it, though I'm just the tiniest bit meh on the ending...but, at the same time, not really sure what they could have done to make it more satisfying. I would definitely recommend this one to anyone, even people (like I usually am) who aren't huge fans of historical dramas. Am I glad I watched it? Absolutely. Will I watch it again? Yeah, I likely will, though maybe just some episodes. 

I do have some thoughts on the last episode, but am going to save those for now and ruminate on it before I type them up. Also, not feeling great today, so don't want that to colour my commentary. 

No comments: