Friday, February 19, 2021

My Secret Star

 I needed something with short episodes and I saw that Sung Hoon's new drama, My Secret Star had episodes that were only about 15 minutes long. So I tried two.

So...well...I mean, I like Sung Hoon. I've enjoyed watching him in things, though I have skipped some of his dramas purely based on premise (like the one where he gets kidnapped and falls in love with his captor). But...wellllll...after two episodes of this one, I don't think I'll be continuing on. I'm not sure if he's just phoning it in or if the direction given to him is that he's supposed to be over-act-y or what. But nothing about this one captured me.

Basically, he's playing Jin, a Hallyu star with a big secret. And the secret is revealed pretty quickly, as is...well...what looks like the entire plot. He was cursed by a minor deity he was in love with way back in a previous life because he married someone else, even though he loved the deity. So now, any time he is touched by a woman, he turns into a child. For how long? Not really sure. Anyway, a Vietnamese reporter who is looking for a big scoop about the star to make her career, overhears him saying he wants to retire. She worms her way to try and get closer to him and winds up discovering his secret...but also that when SHE touches him, he doesn't change. So he, of course, wants to find out all about her. For her part, she wants the scoop. 

Throw in some weird random fortune teller and flashbacks and it's easy to figure out that SHE is the reincarnation of the former goddess that cursed him. 

So, I'm sure there'll be some flailing back and forth as she tries to make her career and he tries not to be discovered, blah blah blah and then they'll fall in love and he'll get out of his curse. Between the fact that it feels like the entire plot was communicated in less than 30 minutes and the weird over-acting going on, I'm just not going to sit through this one even though I like Sung Hoon. I kinda wonder what he's doing in it. It kinda feels beneath him. It does explain why it has a rating just over 8 on Viki...maybe people are rating it relatively high just because he's in it? I dunno. I was just very underwhelmed by his co-star too. 


No comments: