Sunday, November 21, 2021

From 5 to 9

I wasn't entirely in the mood for either Move to Heaven or Mad for Each Other today and I'd just seen a clip of a Japanese Drama, so...yeah...I started something new on Viki. No idea why, but it's called From 5 to 9. 

Junko Sakuraba, played by Satomi Ishihara, teaches English in Japan, but her dream is to move to New York City. Her goal feels far away. Takane Hoshikawa, played by Tomohisa Yamashita, is a monk and/or a Buddhist priest (not entirely sure which). They cross paths when Junko accidentally tosses ash all over him at a funeral she was attending (her feet had gone to sleep from kneeling so long). 

For reasons unknown (at least, by the end of the first episode), Takane becomes very interested in her and even manages to set up an arranged marriage meeting with her -- or rather, with her family, who trick her into attending it. She's got no interest in an arranged marriage, especially with this oddly formal monk/priest who doesn't seem to even listen to anything she says. Meanwhile, his grandmother would rather set him up with someone suitable for the temple.

So, at Junko's work, her old teacher (not much older than her) has come back and is now in charge. They're obviously interested in each other and he seems to be grooming her to take a position in the NYC office, where he normally lives. That'd be a dream come true for her. There's also another young guy at the office (maybe two?) who also seem interested in her, but she's mostly got eyes for NY.

In bad news, some rich bitch women who are only taking English classes because they like one of the hot male teachers, write a letter of complaint about Junko for no good reason. And she's made to travel hours away to the woman's vacation home outside the city to apologise. On her birthday. When she was supposed to be meeting boss dude and a bunch of NY bigshots at a dinner instead. Then she misses the bus and her heel breaks and the rain starts...she's having just a shitty, shitty day. That's when Takane shows up with an umbrella and a car. 

It's the first time he's been there for her without being annoying, though he's still kinda weird. But then he takes her back to the temple, rushes her inside and LOCKS HER IN A ROOM saying he's been acting really strange since he met her and he can't let her go.

So, yeah, that was a bit WTF. But I think the thing you've gotta realise about this show is that it's based on a manga. And every time I've ever seen a character called Takane, they're, like, literally half insane (i.e. Takane and Hana). If you didn't know it was based on a manga, you'd guess it 5 minutes in. It has that kind of feel. 

Interestingly, the very end also hinted at some perhaps interesting side stories with the other characters. 

Anyway, I wouldn't say this promises to be a great show. It promises to be a very manga-show. But I was in the mood for that kind of thing and at least they're close in age (unlike the other Takane). And the actors seem decent and not super wooden like some Japanese shows I've tried. AND! It's only 10 episodes. It promises to be very silly. Silly can be good. And, like, low angst silly. So, we'll see.

Edit: Ok, I finished it. And...by the end, I gotta say, it annoyed me and the only couple I felt like I could root for was the weirdest one (the BL-loving woman & the sort-of suave dude). Basically, the female lead went from I don't really like you to You're SO annoying to OMG I love you and then right to I'll give up all my hopes and dreams to be with you. And he goes from I love you and will never hurt you and will never give you up to now that I've seen how committed you are, I'll lie to you (even though I say I'll never lie) so you can be happy without me

And the grandmother was an evil beeyotch for no good reason. Like, at all. The FL reminded her or her old daughter-in-law. The younger brother was mean and awful for no purpose and no real redemption. I dunno. I knew going in that it wasn't likely to make sense, BUT...

The resolution was, apparently, that they do get married and he does take over as head priest of the temple. But then the very last scene is her with a suitcase off to NYC, like, immediately after they get hitched (i.e. complete the paperwork) and he seems to be staying behind. So...she's moving? He's not? For how long? I just...meh. 

Would I watch it again? Nope. I mean, I didn't absolutely hate it, but it wasn't at all satisfying. I'll leave it at that.

No comments: