Sunday, November 21, 2021

Mad for Each Other

I needed to try something funny to watch in-between episodes of Move to Heaven (it's good, but, man, it's heavy) so I tried something I'd downloaded an episode of ages ago. It's called Mad for Each Other

I was very confused when I first started it because I thought it had an entirely different actor as the male lead. The small cover image on Netflix (not the picture above) looked a lot like Lee Kwang-Soo. Though the actors really don't look alike at all. It was just the particular angle of the small picture. The male lead is actually played by Jung Woo, who I haven't seen in anything before. 

He plays No Whi-Oh, who has some serious anger management issues due to some incident in his past (no idea what as yet). The female lead is the actress Oh Yeon-Seo playing Lee Min-Kyung, who I've also not seen in anything, apparently. She's a paranoid OCD sufferer. 

The two wouldn't seem to have anything in common, except they are seeing the same psychologist and happen to live right next door to each other. No idea how they haven't run into each other before, but on this particular day, they keep running into each other. He's having a bad day. She's having an especially paranoid one, thinking he's following her. Things finally come to a head and at the end of the first episode, it looks like they're likely to wind up explaining themselves in the police station next. 

It looks to be sort of outlandishly funny and I more or less enjoyed the first episode. I wouldn't say I love it as they're both a bit hard to relate to -- though I might also be projecting because I'm having kind of a BLAH BLEH kind of day today and if I'd written this right after I watched it, maybe I'd have been more oh haha that was funny. I will give it another go, of course, whenever I need something over the top.

On the plus side, I love the female lead's look. I realise she's supposed to be kind of kooky, but, hey, it's kind of a me vibe.

Edit: wah, it took me a long time to finish this one. The first episodes were quite a lot of physical comedy and angst...I mean, funny angst, but angst. It was hard to see how it was going to develop into a romance. It did all come together at the end, though it very much tackled tough topics -- mental health, stigma around cross-dressers, bullying, dating violence, corruption...

So, I'd say I enjoyed it overall and it was a good show. It took me probably about half way through before I felt invested, but there wasn't anything *wrong* anywhere. Am I glad I watched it? Yeah. Would I watch it again? Probably not. I feel like it was a one-time watch. But it was good.

No comments: