Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Love is for Suckers

I started Love is for Suckers when it first came out, er, some time ago and it was high on my list because it stars Choi Si Won. I've wanted to see him be the male lead in something ever since She was Pretty because that show left you with some serious Second Lead Syndrome. Also Super Junior is high on my listening list. Anyway, I got distracted by various things and only came back to it this week because I felt like I needed something funnier and lighter to alternate with Tomorrow. Though, eh, I'm not totally sure now that it's gonna be the lighthearted thing I was looking for. Let's start over...


Goo Yeo-Reum (Lee Da-Hee, from The Beauty Inside) works as a PD for TV shows and is pretty unlucky in love. She and Park Jae-Hoon (Choi Si-Won) have been friends for a long time but never connected in that way, mostly due to timing. They have, however, always been each other's rock. When she and her fiancĂ© broke it off, he helped her pick up the pieces. When he had some type of tragedy strike at work (he was a neurosurgeon), she was the one who pulled him out of depression. 

Well, in the beginning of the show, her professional and personal life are both off the rails a bit. The show she is producing isn't successful enough and the star of it, who she has gone on a few dates with, is basically stringing her along for fun. He's a...well, he's a total douche. Yeo-Reum and Jae-Hoon have a teasing kind of friendship and he doesn't take her relationship issue seriously at first -- when she asks him to please show up and pretend he's her date, he does...but as some weird country hick type of thing, embarrassing her even more. Then he actually overhears the asshole, he gets it and returns to try and save the day.

But, eh, all that hijinks is in the beginning. By episode 5-ish (or maybe 6, I'm on one or the other now), things have gone all crazy. The fiancé comes back and immediately asks her to marry him. Even though they haven't seen each other in a long time and even though the best friend pushes Jae-Hoon to step up (because it's obvious there are some feelings there), it looks like Yeo-Reum is gonna go for it. I mean, I feel her. She's tired. She just wants to belong with someone and dude is the only one offering. But she learns a bombshell literally ten minutes before the rush wedding -- the dude has a pregnant sidechick/one night stand. And he knew about it for days and didn't tell her.

She calls off the wedding. And, to be fair, I don't think she totally loved him anymore anyway. She loved the idea of it. But then things are off at work too -- she'd been reassigned as second PD on a reality dating show called Kingdom of Love and one of the contestants that they're about to start filming gets arrested with literally 3 hours before filming starts. The lead PD Kang Chae-Ri basically blackmails her into asking Jae-Hoon to take the spot. And he does. Because he's finally decided to put himself out there.

But, dude, it's literally the day after she calls off her wedding. I mean, I commend him for stepping up BUT she's got a lot going on in her head. Guilt. Worry. Feelings of Inadequacy. Crap work situation. All the things. And while I think even she knows that she's got some feelings for him, it's not the best timing. Girl needs to breathe.

Anyway, also complicating things is that another contestant on the show had been Jae-Hoon's blind date recently (he ultimately turned her down but thought of her as nice) and though she's sort of suggested herself as "just choose me on the show, I know you don't mean it" you know that she's still after him. And she's more conniving then she looks. 

So. There's also whatever sad drama coming that caused Jae-Hoon to quit being a neurosurgeon and be a plastic surgeon instead. I'm guessing he killed someone by accident or inaction. And I worry that his mom is going to be a total bitch -- she hasn't seemed like it so far BUT she's played by the actress Moon Hee-Kyung and she often plans the steamroller chaebol bitch mom. So I totally suspect her even though she hasn't done anything bad yet. 

And, probably my least fav part of this is going to be the whole false construct of the Kingdom of Love filming. I really hate reality tv. 

But. Choi Si-Won. 

Will update after I watch some more, though I do wish it had been as fluffy as all the show posters/ads made it look like it would be. And it's him -- with that grin you think, ah, it can't be too bad.

No comments: