Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Nevertheless

Soooooooo...even though I actually quite liked the acting in this one and the production quality was good and the actors are oh-so-pretty (in the one episode I watched), I am, nevertheless (ha, ha) adding the Korean Drama Nevertheless to my not gonna finish list immediately.



You first meet Yoo Na-Bi (played by Han So-Hee) when she is on her way to her then-boyfriend's art exhibit where she is stunned to find a sculpture of herself -- and titled with her name -- in a very intimate and erotic pose. For the world to see. But, amazingly, that isn't even the final straw that makes her break up with him. She has to discover him cheating first. He's an older authority-ish figure (an established artist, while she's still a student) who is a gaslighting textbook jerk. 

Then we learn that she meets Park Jae-Eon (played by Song Kang, who I watched a bit of in Navillera, though I haven't finished it...have to say that he is multi-talented and apparently has a penchant for butterflies) that very night that she broke up with the asshole. They share an immediate connection but...he seriously gives off a...well, not exactly a player vibe but he's super touchy and charming but in that way that makes you feel like he knows it? She nopes out after hearing him on the phone with what sounds like might be a girlfriend but can't stop thinking about him.

I'm kinda, like, girl, you need to be on your own for a while.

At any rate, he winds up attending her school and they reconnect. And, seriously, he's devastatingly handsome and charming and he seems to be pursuing her but...that feeling of ick is still there. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be feeling that or not, but I definitely was. 

So I was debating watching another one because, though the pace was a bit slow, everything else was good. But I couldn't shake that unsettled feeling of not right. I wanted to tell her to run. So I just did a quick search and apparently, the webtoon it is based on has them NOT ending up with each other though the drama does. And, yes, apparently the drama is all about him being indifferent to romance but falling for her, yadda yadda. The webtoon sounds much darker and abusive and has some kind of love triangle.

Yeah, my gut was right. I am sure they did a lovely job acting in this one. I was really liking the side characters too. But it's just not a story I want to watch. I'm old. I have a low threshold for stupidity, even stupid things that people do in the name of love.

But, I did learn that Na-Bi is butterfly.

No comments: