Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Isekai Ojisan - Uncle from Another World

Welp, this is a weird one. Weird, mostly, in a good way, though there's also a bit too much gratuitous ecchi randomness for me personally. It's an isekai...sort of. In a way. Also, not. In a way. From the opening, you think it's gonna be a standard isekai as you see a young dude almost hit by a truck. But he doesn't get hit by one. Instead, he's the nephew about to visit his uncle in the hospital, who has just woken up after being in a coma for 17 years. It was Uncle that was transported to an alternate world...and now he's back...and somehow managed to keep the magic skills he learned while he was away.




But Uncle's story isn't a happy one -- he was labeled an "orc" because he was "so ugly" -- though, to be fair to him, he really doesn't look any worse than a lot of the other characters we see in the flashbacks. But, he was also completely oblivious to social customs and niceties and misreads everyone he meets (he was a dedicated gamer who never got out much before). 

As nephew and his newly re-discovered childhood friend learn more and more about Uncle's life in the otherworld, they are constantly scratching their heads at how WRONG he was about everything and everyone. Mostly. There's Elf and Mabel and the "destined hero" who all wind up kinda having a thing for Uncle because he unwittingly knows how to compliment them, accidentally sort of marries them, and, by his actions, actually show that mostly he's a stand up guy. He's very OP, like characters usually wind up in isekai's, but he's so very very clueless about people and what people are thinking that it's like a subversion of standard isekai shows. 

In that sense, it is very enjoyable, though it's also quite...cringe inducing sometimes? So I'm a little torn on it. It took me quite a while to finish too; you have to be in the mood for the hijinks and weirdness of it.

I am also kinda pissed because I accidentally got a spoiler for it when I was looking up something and I think Elf dies when she helps send him back to his own world. So, now, if they ever do a second season, I'm not sure if I'm gonna watch it. Because, as Elf was super tsundere, he never realised that they actually, like, had a relationship. So I was kind of hoping that somehow they'd have a reunion. But, I guess it's not that kind of show. Though, also, it also didn't seem like the kind of show where someone major would die either. And Elf was just as OP as he was. So, eh, I dunno.

Am I glad I watched it? Yes, I suppose so. Would I watch it again? No. I mean, there are some really funny bits but I can live without re-watching all the cringey bits. But, it was interesting and it did some different things that you don't usually get to see, so, yeah, it was worthwhile.

No comments: