Monday, July 19, 2021

Code: Realize--Guardian of Rebirth

I actually bought Code: Realize around the same time as Cafe Enchante during a sale, but didn't wind up trying it out until this week. Not sure why -- possibly because it's on the Switch and it never occurs to me to go dig it out of little dude's room. 


So far, I'm in Chapter 1. I've only completed the Prologue, which means I've only had about 2 decision points so far? Maybe three. Er, but maybe I should start over with what the story is about...

Though...I've REALLY tried not to get spoiled on this one, so I'm not entirely sure what the story is about yet. ;-) 

Basically, you are Cardia. She is the daughter (?) of a famous inventor. The world is a Steampunk version of England in the 1800s. She has some fanciful gem thing half-embedded in her chest called the Horologia and to touch her is to die; she's literal poison. So far, all of this is very very very like Rappaccini's Daughter, that short story by Nathaniel Hawthorne. She only has memories of the last two years and her father disappeared, leaving her behind in a crumbling mansion. She may or may not have to eat (though she can; it's unclear whether she *needs* to). The gem is some kind of a power source.

Her father, apparently, also created something called the Twilight corps, which acts on secret missions or something...Anyway, the story opens with a bunch of Royal Guards tasked with capturing (if still alive) a "monster" -- and the monster turns out to be Cardia. But they don't get far with her before she is stolen away by top hat wearing Arsène Lupin, Master Thief (and the first of our romanceable love interests--and, I gather, the one you have to unlock by completing the others first). He claims to want to track down her father and knows about the gem and the poison, etc. 

Lupin is dashing, unlike Impey, who you meet the next morning. Impey Barbicane, the second LI, seems to be the comic relief inventor who surely has a decent heart but is quite flirty. He's got the pointy teeth; the Japanese anime mark of mischievousness. He also informs Cardia that Lupin is a Hero and that they suspect her dad is up to no good and they want to stop some coming tragedy.

They take Cardia back to London (not the London we know but a Steampunked version) but get separated somehow. Luckily, Cardia was given a map by Lupin to their hideaway, though it's doubtful this clueless (she's never been out before) young maiden who'd have made it if she hadn't run into LI number 3: Victor Frankenstein. He's also on the run, though he claims he's been framed; he's a former Royal Alchemist. He seems excessively kind. After they dodge his pursuers and some creepy plague mask wearing Twilight agent, they make it to the mansion.

...which isn't owned by Lupin. So I'm guessing it's owned by the next LI...I know that there are two more: Abraham Van Helsing and Count Saint-Germain. (Ya see where they're going with all these names??) She also meets a steampunked corgi in a top hat that Impey had saved (he gave it a metal leg) that seems to like her.

That's as far as I've made it so far. So...the art...it's good. As you'd expect. The sprites are well animated. The voice acting is very nicely done. I mean, this is an Otomate game for the Switch. You expect good quality and it delivers. The interface is the normal standard thing, though I am sad about the lack of LI Progress Indicator (but, to be fair, so few games have this!! Why??). 

The story is interesting and engaging; the dialogue is good; the character's seem differentiated enough. I do wonder a bit about Cardia as the MC as she's very clueless but also seems to be really taken aback by Impey, which makes it seem strange as he's an LI. Her reactions to Victor and Lupin are much more genial. Of course, Impey is over the top. But...it's very obvious from the get-go that Lupin is the "true route" (leaving aside even the fact that you have to unlock him by doing the others first). I gotta admit that I don't love that conceit. What if I like one of the other guys better? But, that's how the story goes...in this case, anyway. 

I'm hoping her passiveness gives way. I mean, I don't mind deadpan MCs or anything. But I do hope she grows and learns and doesn't stay like she currently is until the end. Because she was ready to die and thinks of herself as a monster. And...that's just sad.

Will update after I play more. 

No comments: