Saturday, July 03, 2021

Once Again

I'm really enjoying Run On so far, but I felt like trying something different today. No idea why. So I started Once Again. It wasn't, however, the show that I thought it was...I somehow got it confused with another show that I apparently can't remember the name of. So I was a bit confused as I was watching, expecting some different things to be happening... 

(Edit: asked on Reddit, and now I understand my confusion -- the show I thought I was watching is called Never Twice...which, sadly, is still not available for me on either Viki or Netflix.)

It's actually a 2020 show and full of actors I've seen in other things (and generally like). In this one, there are four adult children. The father is played by actor Cheon Ho-Jin and the mother by Cha Hwa-Yeon. The two oldest children recently got divorced. 

The son, because he stood surety on a friend's debt (who then defaulted) and then lost his house. It was too much for his wife. That actor (Oh Dae-Hwan) is basically playing the character I've always seen him play: a bit clueless but good hearted. He has a teenage daughter and a younger daughter that might be non-verbal? His ex-wife seems like a good person and long-suffering. His job is as a stunt man, but you get the feeling he doesn't garner a lot of respect, even though he tries hard. He's a bit of a goofball. If I had to guess, he'll probably wind up back with his ex-wife. Maybe.

The next oldest daughter (actress Oh Yoon-Ah) caught her husband cheating and divorced him. She has a young son played by Moon Woo-Jin (he's been in so many things for a young actor!) and seems decent enough -- has always gotten by on her looks. Have no idea what her job is, but she does at least try to shield her son from the antics of her father and doesn't even talk down about him even though he obviously deserves it. For the son's part, he's kind and probably smarter than both of his parents.

Third daughter (actress Lee Min-Jung) is a doctor and severely lacking in social skills but seems unaware of this fact. She's married (they are the couple on the end) to another doctor (actor Lee Sang-Yeob, who I really liked in Good Casting...though not enough to finish the show). He seems like a sweetheart, but caught between his argumentative wife and his passive aggressive mother who might have a drinking problem. I dunno that I feel a lot of sympathy for this daughter -- it's obvious from the billing in the show that they are the "main couple" and will likely get a divorce and then get back together. She's just...so abrasively clueless. 

The youngest daughter (Lee Cho-Hee) is getting married (she's the eyeglass wearing one).  She's like the character in Fated to Love You -- an intern, hapless, too nice, unable to stick up for herself. She's also destined to get divorced...or rather, for the marriage to fall apart before it actually begins. Her betrothed is played by Ji Il-Joo and comes from a rich family and fancies himself above her. She catches him cheating on her on their wedding night (it was very obvious it was going to happen) and, thank goodness, leaves. Which marks the end of episode 1, when she goes back to the family home, suitcase in tow. 

There's also some mystery guy who we get a glimpse of arriving from the airport who witnesses youngest daughter's marriage fall apart. No idea who he is, but I imagine he's destined for her.

SO many other actors are also in this. And there are 50. FIFTY episodes at about an hour each. So...yeah. It's long, man. It also feels more like a soap opera than many of the ones I watch do. I mean, I do like slice of life stuff, though. And I generally like all of these actors (some quite a bit). But it wasn't the show I thought I was getting into. So I think this one might be one I just dip into every now and then? I dunno. I think I'm feeling this way because this also doesn't look like it holds any surprises. So I kinda want to just look up a summary rather than watch it. Which seems like a bad cheat. But I don't know that I LOVED any of the characters enough so far to want to watch the show. 

We've got kinda grumpy but loving penny pincher dad. Mum who wants the best for her kids, kinda geeky Auntie. Goofy brother, pretty but kinda useless daughter, smart but abrasive daughter, sweet pushover daughter. I can pretty much guess what all of their character arcs are going to be. But maybe I'll try a few more and see. It does get good reviews (though I didn't really read through, as I didn't want spoilers).

No comments: