Thursday, July 08, 2021

Switch Craft

So, there's a game I've been playing off and on for a while called Switch Craft, though I went for ages where it was just something I did for the puzzles randomly (think Candy Crush-ish). It's by Wooga and is a matching game BUT where what you unlock is an otome-like story (and decorations for your room). I had saved up over 300 of the magical D20s (or whatever they are) to unlock story bits, but hadn't used hardly any of them. I recently picked it up again and have now made it to Book 1: Chapter 18. You need between 1 and 3 of the tokens or whatever they are to read a section. It's a bit different from most of the otome/joseimuke that I normally play.


Basically, you're a freshman witch named Bailey (with too cool for school hair) at a magical school called Pendle Hill. You've reconnected with an old best friend named Lydia, but she's acting a bit odd. During a ritual out in the woods, you witness her disappearing. So far (up through this chapter), you're investigating her disappearance and uncovering mysterious goings on both in town and at the school.

Pros: The storyline is actually engaging and the decision points DO seem to make a difference. The graphics are cartoony but really good. There are potential love interests of both sexes. The plot isn't predictable; I've guessed some things, but had no clue on others (which, as a writer, is a rarity, so that's good). 

Cons: There's no way to go back and try different things or (as far as I can tell) or restart if you wanted to do a different path. There also doesn't seem to be any way to see how much MORE story there is. Like I said, I'm in Book 1: Chapter 18 but I have no idea how many chapters or books there are. There's also no gauge to see what your relationship with different characters is; there are brief bubbles that pop up when you make a choice that might say "Gilmore is happy" or "Rosie is upset" but since you don't know what your baseline is, it's not super helpful. 

It seems like you could probably romance ALL the characters at the same time if you wanted to, but I'm so boring that I picked one and have friendzoned the others. I wound up going for the geeky Gilmore. I mean, he plays D&D ffs, who else would I choose? 

Other options include a) broody, dreadlocked beefcake Dylan, b) a non-witch cop named Naomi and possibly some others? At least, some of the decision points kinda point to them maybe being romanceable? Like Janis, a potion brewing witch in a wheelchair. And maybe even Rosie, who has a girlfriend she's on the outs with. Not entirely sure as I've just been picking the definite Gilmore options. 

I don't know that I love that the game is tied to matching puzzles. I mean, I generally have at least one of those on my phone that I play (it's what I used to do when riding the Tube or bus). But I don't always want to play one of those and this ties you to it to unlock story. And I get the feeling it's an unending story -- like, do you ever actually find Lydia? When I just did a quick search to write up this post, I see people on FB asking for new levels and chapters. So I'm trying not to progress too far on the story as I don't know how long it will last.

This company has a couple of other similar games, so I might try one of them to see if the story is as good. I do like that you don't have to put a lot of effort into it and you don't have to log into it every day. But, over all, I'd say this one was a surprising keeper. The further you go into the story, the more interesting it is. 

Edit: So, I was curious and have plugged on through the story a bit more. I am now on Book 2, Chapter 2 and puzzle 612, with about 91 of the whatever token things saved up. 

You DO finally find Lydia after much craziness and pulling her out of the water after someone tried to drown her, but she seems...off. And her recollections of the night she disappeared don't match yours & she seems to think the guy who tried to drown her is her friend. So, still no idea really where the story is going. 

I also kinda wonder exactly who the target audience is of this thing. There are some "jokes" about things like tampons and lady things, which, combined with the female MC makes it seem  like they are definitely targeting females. But at what age? Some bits read older than others (there's kinda drug/potion abuse, some violence, etc.). It's a curious hodgepodge. There's also not masses of romance. It's definitely more of a mystery thing. Though, heck, I suppose you could say it passes the Bechdel test, so that's something. I haven't heard much about it either, in any of the otome groups I'm in. It's a curious beast.

Edit: Haven't progressed super farther in the story (too busy -- am on Level 860, Book 2, Chapter 4), but I probably play a puzzle level or two a day randomly. They've re-done the interface and now you collect stuff but don't get to decorate the room with it. Which is sort of weird. Not that room decorating was a reason to play, but now that it's gone, I'm, like, why am I collecting this stuff? It seems useless. Also, I totally don't like Lydia. Can we throw her back in the lake? She's not even interested in all the stuff the MC is digging up about her. It makes the motivation of the MC a little weird. Why is she doing it? Why does she bother? Does she never need to go to class? Shouldn't she be kissing Gilmore instead? 

Am really curious what other people think of it.

Edit: Am now up through Book 2, Chapter 8 and Level 933 (with 221 of the whatever doohickeys that unlock story bits). And, boy, do I really really not like Lydia. At this point, she's even tried to get the protagonist arrested for arson. The thing that I really don't get (other than it is what's supposed to be driving the plot) is WHY the MC is bothering with her at all. She's, like, not worth it. Give me Rosie and Gilmore or even Dylan and Naomi. Hell, give me more Espresso Joe. Lydia can go back in the lake.

Edit: Up to Book II: Chapter 10 and level 1023 (with 292 of the whatevers saved). SO hating Lydia and Jason and Travis. But I really don't understand the MC's motivations either. I hope they're going to come to some kind of a point or the MC becomes a crusader against them or something. Also, not sure if it's just because I picked Gilmore, but the romance-y sections seem to have really dropped off the map. It rather feels like they forgot to add in bits, even in side stories.

7 comments:

Ragana said...

Im on level 955... all i have to say is F lydia!

liraelwiddershins said...

Exactly!

Unknown said...

F Lydia so hard, I'm so mad I went into dangerous situations for her 😒
Ungrateful brat

liraelwiddershins said...

Definitely! She gets worse by the chapter!

Unknown said...

I'm on level 1080.. and all I can say is holy motherforking shirtballs! F lydia. And f everyone else I can say w/o spoilers... holy crap the sh*t hits the fan, and I'm literally on the edge of my seat.. so many twists that I didnt see coming... I'm just mindblown at this point..

Srivalli said...

I am playing Book 3: Chapter 15 with some 1700 puzzle...Lydia is not bad..She got possessed by her own ancestor... Now.. Bailey's mom is alive..I am soo exited to play ..but puzzles should get updated..

Anonymous said...

Spoil!!! I want to know if it’s worth it to keep on playing. Like what goes down??