Friday, December 16, 2022

Kimi ni Todoke

Here I am again, very, very behind. I suppose you could technically say this post is about 6 years behind (maybe more), actually, as that's when I first watched Kimi ni Todoke over on Crunchyroll. There's a few other anime and Kdramas that I also haven't blogged about, but I just did a re-watch of Kimi ni Todoke (aka From Me to You) and I finished the anime, so that's where I'm starting.


This was actually one of the very first shows I watched on Crunchroll, I think, but I wasn't blogging here very often about it then. So this will be a bit of an odd review, I suppose, as it is coloured by my memories of my first go around with it. I'm pretty sure I watched it alongside Say I Love You. And I think I actually read a bunch of it as well...but it was about 7 or 8 years ago so...I'm old, yo. I have sort of vague senses /memories of it.

So, this is the love story of Sawako (often called Sadako, after her resemblance to the girl in The Ring...which I have never seen, so I can't comment on it, other than I know she's supposed to look creepy.) and Kazehaya, a popular boy at school. Basically, a slow burn romance where there's lots of miscommunication and misunderstandings and the girl slowly gains in confidence. So, very typical. But, it's also fairly old, so it's actually kinda known as one of the forerunners, I suppose (not that this isn't one of the most common storylines of all time). A big part of it is also her relationship with two girls -- in fact, the early episodes are more about that. Because that's really all she has ever dreamed of. Having friends.

I really do love that part of the story -- the fact that they are so supportive of each other and manage to work through bullying and rumours and high school nastiness. Sawako wouldn't have made it through without Ayane and Chizu. 

I remember being really taken with how sweet Kazehaya and Sawako were together. Though I confess that watching it this second time around, I am less patient with how incredibly dense she can be. Did I not notice it as much the first time? Was I more caught up in the story? Even her friends can be, like, girl, you just don't get it, you are totally wrong and misunderstanding things. So it was a bit more frustrating to watch, especially the middle episodes, this time around. Especially when they have that really nice New Year's Eve shrine visit and then go from that to where she can barely talk to him.

And...I think maybe I must have watched the anime and then read the manga (did I finish the whole thing? Maybe?) because I have memories of a whole long sub-plot with Chizu and Sanada once he finally confesses to her. And a part where Kazehaya and his father are having real issues. None of that is in the anime, so I must have read on.

I did just now look up a summary of the ending again, and it sounds like that stuff is in there, so I must have read it. It's all a muddle in my head. And this is a rubbish review. It isn't a review. I guess I'm just writing it down now so I can remember. 

Old. Old, I tell you. Anyway, yes, I like this one. I enjoyed it both times, though I had less patience for it this time. I actually had picked it up this time around as I felt like something romantic and non-stressful and remembered this as being that. It wasn't totally, but, hey, there you go. Would I watch it again? Hm, I dunno. Now that I *have* watched it again, would I go another round? They are very sweet, but I honestly don't think I could slog through the middle angst again. Maybe in another format.

No comments: